1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Star Wars Galaxies - Repeated Video Crashing

Discussion in 'Games' started by kouzou_fuyut, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kouzou_fuyut

kouzou_fuyut Thread Starter

Well, I guess I'll start with my specs:

--Computer Specs--
    CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1200MHz
    RAM: 4x256MB DDR
    Mobo: Abit KG-7
    Video: 64 mb MSI GeForce 3 (Latest Drivers)
    Sound: Hercules GameTheater XP
    Power: Antec TruePower 600W
    Hard Disk: 4x40GB Western Digital in a RAID-0 array.
    RAID: Promise FastTrak100 TX2

Hmm, I think that covers everything, but I may have missed something, since I'm posting this from work.

--The Problem--
    Starwars Galaxies seems to run decently, I'm not seeing huge framerates, and I get monster lag if I turn up any of the options. This, however all changes when I enter a city, or other area with a large number of players. (Cantinas are particularly evil for me). Whenever I enter a city or other populated area, my framerate drops to between 1 and 5 fps, and then bits of the game display start to blink. First the HUD will go away and come back, and then large chunks of the city structures will blink or dissapear. Occasionally I can be standing in a starport and the entire building, ticket taker and all, will simply cease to exist. I could live with just that, it is annoying, but whatever. However, the blinking is typically followed by the game either crashing to desktop, or crashing to a black screen, which forces me to reset the computer. Typically the crash will re-occur when I log back in to SWG, unless I've restarted the computer.

I just got finished tracking down the mysterious "nVidia infinite looping error" that would give me a BSOD and the nv4_disp.dll error, and those seem to be gone (no reoccurrance in 15 days and counting, used to happen at least once a night)

At first I thought this problem was localized to SWG, but I noticed that it started to occur in Diablo II as well, (blinking display items, followed by crashing).

I'm just trying to figure out where it would be best to concentrate my efforts, as my funds are rather limited at the moment. My three biggest suspicions are Video Card, Motherboard, and RAM, but I'm not sure quite how to figure out which (if any) of the three are the culprits. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    ~K

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/262712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice