StarForce killed my Cd-Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Codemaster

I have 2 IDE CD-RW/DVD-Rom drives that are identical. I recently purchased Bet on Soldier, which has StarForce protection on it (anti burning and the like software). Apparently this protection has caused many problems on systems, I learned of this after I installed the game and had the cd in the drive, but it still wouldn't let me play the game.

To get to the point: I tried to play RollerCoaster Tycoon 2, I put it in the lower drive (E:) and nothing, it said there wasn't a disc there. I know the disc works, its 2 days old, hasn't touched the floor yet and worked 5 minutes before as my sister played it on a different PC. I put the disc in the upper drive (D:) and it works fine. I uninstalled E: restarted, still same problem. I open my computer, double click on E:,"Please insert disc into..." How do I fix this?

Also, the drives are Rosewill 321 Drives.

Yeah starforce has a nickname, the star and f remain the same, just the last few letters are changed. I have heard of problems like yours but haven't dealt with one. I figure starforce saw the identical drives and figured one of them was a virtual and disabled it.

I have no idea how to fix it, companies that screw with your machine in order to "protect" their $$$ without letting you know what "could" happen are lowlife scum. They are as bad as the pirates they are trying to stop, if not worse. I won't buy a game protected by starforce.

Sony sold me their last cd, as well as their last piece of hardware with their debacle. These companies have a right to protect their investment, but not the right to screw with our machines.

I'm a pro business, capitalism is good, rah, rah kind of person but this rush to protect your software at the expense of the customers pc components is madness. these companies need to be sued and punished severely, because they know there are problems and they keep sending out bad product, just like our buddies at MS, send it out, clean up the mess later.

Codemaster

I've already Completely killed starforce form my system, and yes I've heard of the StarForce nickname, it was VERY hard for me to remain composed while posting this thread. My problem is my drive STILL doesn't work after StarForce is gone!

Codemaster

That was the first thing I did.

Well, I restored to a time before this problem, but StarForce was still installed. I don't have any points before it was installed...

OK, this is a long shot but. Try unplugging both cdroms and starting the machine. By unplugging I mean disconnecting both the power and the IDE.

Let the machine fully start up and then shut it down. Plug the drives back in and boot it up.

It might work and is easier than a reinstall if it does. There has to be a real answer to this so I'll back away for now. I would try disconnecting the drives like I said though. Thay "might" get picked back up, worth a shot.:(

Codemaster

I'm a desperate, pissed off individual thats willing to try anything. Let's give it a shot.

Codemaster

Problem: I disconnected the IDe drives then booted back up and the bios gave me the boot disc error, enter system disc and press enter error, I just pressed enter and then windows loaded, I shut it down and plugged the drives back in, and it gave me the same error except when I hit enter it said checking cd drive twice (checking both the drives) and then gave the error again, I have the bios set to check the hard drive first for OS... ???

Codemaster

Ok I fixed that problem. I got it to boot with the IDE drives in. I put the good cd into the drive that still worked last time to check that by some random act of god it still works, and it does, autoplay and everything. However, the problem drive, no autoplay...same problem. "Please insert a disc into drive E:." ...damn

Any other ideas? Drivers? Firmware? Shocking the drive with a magnet?

I figure the drive is fine. I also figure starforce has done something to disable it. One thing you could try is test the drive that isn't working in another machine. If it works in another machine, well now you know starforce screwed your windows install. :(

At that point, you would have a decision to make. Keep looking for an answer or reinstall windows. :eek: (n) I am not big on a reinstall but.........................??

I do hope you find an answer. I am out, sorry I couldn't help. :(

also, don't play any SONY BMG music cd's in your computer, it will do the exact same thing.
From what I've heard, long story short, you're boned. I hate to tell ya, but unless you really look hard for some sort of program to directly destroy the effects from your star f issue, i'd say it's best if you just get a new one...

Well, I just thought of something.

Maybe you could repartition the drive to read a different label. E:\ rename to F:\
Then the star f issue would be attempting to disable drive E and not F... but I'm such a newb I don't think It would work even if I made sense saying it.

Codemaster

I really don't wanna reinstall, and I know about the sony music cd's, luckily I only listen to the radio lol.

Ok I changed E to Z, lol, wouldn't it be nice if it was an EZ fix. And it.....*tries*...doesn't work. Baaahhhh *sobs* I got so excited, the disc seemed to spin for more than usual. I almost had it, I could taste it reading the CD. *wails like a little girl*

NEW PROBLEM! I restarted with the cd drive still named Z, and now Z is nowhere to be found!

Ok...weird, I went to the control panel and went to add hardware, and it gives me: "You can only install one device at a time. Another device installation is underway, when it is finished you can try the wizard again." WTF?

Ok, now it found the drive again...

Codemaster

I have 4 hard drives, 2 in a raid0 setup, is there anyway I can reinstall windows but still manage to keep the data on the other 3 drives?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online