1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start button gives no response for 100 seconds after boot.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alex Ethridge, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I am working with a fresh installation of Windows XP on a Dell Dimension 2350. Every time I boot this computer, it will not respond to clicks on the Start button nor to Ctrl+Alt+Del for about 100- to 180 seconds after booting. This problem started before doing any Windows updates.

The odd thing is that if I click on a desktop icon, it will instantly start or open whatever that icon represents. As a test, I have put shortcuts on the desktop to Wordpad, Calculator, Control Panel and My Computer and they all start up instantly; but, nothing on the taskbar responds for at least 100- to 180 seconds.

I've run CHKDSK /R and done all Windows updates; but, nothing has changed.

Any ideas?

2. devil_himself

devil_himself

3. mcse72

mcse72

From my experiance that usually happens when a program is in startup. Especially wireless software. First try Safe Mode and see if the same thing happens. If not, it's something that's starting up that probably is causing it. Go to Start->Run type "msconfig" (no quotes) and click the startup tab. Uncheck any new programs or the ones you don't need to startup with Windows. Restart and see if that solves your issue. You can usually tell most of what is starting up by the icons next to the clock in the lower right.

4. Alex Ethridge

I took everything out of startup in MSConfig. No change.

I ran across many threads in a Google search where other people had this very problem. One guy said his would hang for "15 minutes". I don't know if the time was an exaggeration; but, his symptoms were identical. None of the threads had a solution.

I formatted and reinstalled Windows and all is now well.

Thanks for your help.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Sounds like something is still booting up or there is a program like an anti-virus program that is running in the background that will not release the system.

Since this is a fresh install of windows did you run the special driver disk to install the motherboard drivers and other special drivers for it?

To download HJTsetup.exe from TrendSecure To Download HijackThis go to the following at the File Repository
    Click on the link below to Download HijackThis Self Installer:

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/threat_analytics/HJTInstall.exe

Save the file to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
    Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
    DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
    A security expert with a gold shield to the right of their name should take a look at your log - please be patient.

6. Alex Ethridge

Fresh installation, no programs installed beside Windows updates. Nothing in the startup group. Drivers were installed from the Dell drivers disk. All items in MSConfig startup group disabled. No e-mail set up yet and no web site visted beside Windows Update site. So, malware cannot be an issue.

As stated earlier, I have formatted and reinstalled Windows, all drivers from the Dell drivers CD, Acrobat Reader, Norton Antivirus, and restored the user data. All is well and nothing was done differently this time from last. I don't know what caused the problem and since formatting and starting over fixed the problem, there is now no hope of finding the cause.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!