Start Button goe's blank

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KLT

On A win98se system, sometimes the start button goe's blank.(the word start is gone its just a white button)
I have run anti virus scans and spyware programs, which find nothing. So I assume this is a windows problem.
Any ideas please.
Kevin.

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
I don't know if this'll help, but it won't hurt anything and it's a good way of renewing the icon cache.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Go into the C:\WINDOWS folder and delete the ShellIconCache file.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Click Start - Run, type in REGEDIT, then click OK.

Click the + in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - Software - Microsoft - Windows - CurrentVersion, then click directly on Explorer.

Right-click an empty space in the right pane, then click New - String Value.

Type in Max Cached Icons
(exactly as you see it with the uppercase and lowercase letters and a space between each word) then press the Enter key.

Right-click this new entry, then click Modify.

Type in 4096, then click OK.

(Note: If this entry is already present, just modify it to use the value of 4096)

Close the registry editor, then reboot.

----------------------------------------------------------------

KLT

Thanks flavallee, will give it a try and let you know how it works out.

It actually may be a video driver issue. If it occurs often, perhaps a reinstall or update may be needed or a better video card. The problem is occasionally accompanied by similar symptoms on the quicklaunch bar.

Lowering hardware acceleration, or lowering the Color Depth may be a workaround.

Hardware acceleration is controlled though System Properties > Performance > Graphics

And the Color Depth through Display Settings. If higher than 16 bit high color, lower it to that.

The start button is not an icon, per se, but a part of Explorer.

KLT

Thanks Rollin, I will report back with the results

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
R_R:

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't really sure if what I suggested would help, but it sure wouldn't hurt anything.

KLT

I have tried all these suggestions without any success. The video card is an Nvidia Riva TNT2 32MB, does anyone have any other suggestions before I run out and buy a new card? Thanks
Kevin.

Have you tried reloading or updating the drivers for it?

Also, before we conclude defintively that it is a video problem, see if it happens when loading standard VGA driver. Normally this can be done by running msconfig, selecting the Advanced tab and checking VGA 640 mode there. You will look like you have restarted in Safe Mode, but it will just be the Video drivers that have changed.

You can also try a "clean" boot as well -- as I'm not prepared to rule out that it could be caused by a software conflict of some kind.

To do that, just temporarily uncheck the startup group in the msconfig utility, reboot and test.

flavallee

Trusted Advisor
First Name
Frank
The driver software for the Nvidia Riva TNT2 for Windows 98SE can be downloaded from here.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online