1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start Button & Task Bar Changed Appearance

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by irainbow, Mar 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irainbow

irainbow Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 240 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 6142 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 581 GB (343 GB Free); E: 74 GB (50 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 04GJJT
    Antivirus: Malwarebytes, Enabled and Updated

This is all so messed up, I'll try to report accurately how things have deteriorated. It began when I noticed the Globe icon for START button changed to the XP style Start button/Windows logo and the appearance of the Task Bar Changed. I attempted to use Google to find out how to fix things, and attempted one or two things which seemed to be promising, but it didn't work.

I then attempted a System Restore, but it said it couldn't complete the task and I can't now remember why (but subsequent attempts also failed to restore the system). Once, when I attempted to UNDO the attempt at restoration, everything seemed to return to normal until the next time I shut down and started up again.

Then the audio system said it wasn't working. I couldn't remember names of my Audio components, so I just tried troubleshooting and I eventually got my sound back.

Before all this, I tried the free Housecall virus check, and then I used my Fix Me Stick ... intermittently, I've had sound. Tonight I got sound back, but not sure how. Will be taking computer into shop and transferring contents to a newer computer in a few weeks, but would like to be assured I have sound services and my usual proper looking START button and Task Bar until then.

Any suggestions -- I've already begun tearing my hair out, so that doesn't work!

(Thanks in advance -- in the midst of all this, I've had to move my apartment contents and deal with the chaos of moving). I'm not particularly computer savvy, but I'm sometimes intuitively able to work around things. If offering explanations, please talk as though I'm a not very bright kindergartener. I've found I'm not anywhere near as smart as my Smart Phone. LOL

P.S. Just noticed that after all the System Restore try/fails etc., all my Firefox Bookmarks are gone gone gone. I also had many shortcuts on the Toolbar Menu (I think that's what it's called) and they're all gone!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Boot with your Win 7 DVD, and choose Repair.

3. irainbow

irainbow Thread Starter

Would be great except I never got a Win 7 DVD. o_O I only now see that I could back then, when I first got this, could have registered for an account with Dell to get the software (I have the License Key). I didn't do that. Since I'm now trashing this computer in a few weeks, don't know if it pays to get back on the Dell list by giving my name. Took forever to get away from them.

Thanks for your suggestion, lunarlander. If I'd had my head on straight, I could have done that so easily back then.

P.S. When I restarted after I posted the initial message in this thread, my original Start (Globe) button and Task Bar mysteriously re-emerged, as did my Sound System. However, all my bookmarks are "gone"(?).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice