1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start Menu Missing + unable to copy/paste

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by taylor45, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. taylor45

taylor45 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have several issues with my Dell Laptop which is using Windows XP Media Edition

1. My Start Menu has disappeared. All i can see is a thin grey panel. I have tried using the start button on my keyboard, but nothing happens.
    2. I am unable to copy, paste or move any icon's on my desktop. I can see them all, but unable to move them around or copy, paste or move to another folder.
    3. I am able to open a few files, but get a message when i open them. E.g. When i open Microsoft Excel, i get a message 'Cannot use object linking and embedding'. In Microsoft Word, i get the message 'This document could not be registered. It will not be possible to create links from other documents to this document. Powerpoint has the message 'PowerPoint found an error that it can't correct. You should save a presentations, quit and then restart PowerPoint.
    4. My Internet explorer won't open and a few other applications won't open - can't open McAfee so unable to do a virus scan.

I have looked at a few other forum comments about Start menu's missing, but i have tried all the comments. Safe mode doesn't bring it back, explorer.exe opens up my documents folder and Ctrl + Alt doesn't show start menu.

HELP please....

2. Megabite

Megabite

If you have the XP disc....you can try a repair install.

3. taylor45

taylor45 Thread Starter

Won't that delete all my files, folders and applications?

4. Megabite

Megabite

No it shouldn't...but you will lose all Windows updates

5. taylor45

taylor45 Thread Starter

Ok, I will give that a go and see what happens. Thanks.

6. Megabite

Megabite

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!