1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start Menu (not responding)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cwilmot, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

I have a Dell 1.5 ghz. with 256mb RAM and running Win ME. When I click on Start and go to Explore (single, right click) it locks up. Ctrl-Alt-Del says Start Menu (not responding). Clicking on End Task takes forever to get any response and clicking on Shut Down brings no response. Likewise, when I click on My Computer it brings up a blank screen and locks up. There are only 2 icons in my SysTray when I bootup: Volume and Microsoft Messenger Service.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Does this behavior occur in safe mode?

To test, restart and press and hold the cntrl key until you see a Boot Menu. Choose safe mode from the menu and test to see if the problem exists there. If it does, the issue is with the registry or system files. If not, it is being caused by a conflict with an installed program or maybe a virus.

3. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

Rollin Rog, Thanks for your suggestions re: my problem associated with Start Menu (not responding). Last night I set it to defrag and went to bed. This AM everything seems to be working fine. Could there have been enough corruption on the disk which the defrag process cleaned up to alleviate the problem? Interesting, huh? Chuck

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well that's interesting. Defrag will not correct corruption, but it will reorganize files for faster access. Not a problem I would ordinarily think would be caused by a badly fragmented drive, but evidently there must have been something badly askew which the defragmenter fixed. Anyway glad it's resolved :)

5. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

Rollin' Rog, I spoke too soon. It worked fine for a couple of days and now it has reverted back to that "Start Menu (not reponding)" complaint and, simultaneously, I am iunable to access "My Computer". When I click on the latter icon I just get a blank window and I'm locked up. The possibility of overheating of the chip crossed my mind although I don't really think that's the problem. However, it seems to manifest itself after the computer has been running for a rather long time.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It could be due to depleted resources. You might want to place a shortcut to the resource meter in your startup folder and keep an eye on it. Typically you should start with at least 85% free system resources and stay above 30% to ensure stability.

If you give us a look at what you have running at startup we might be able to suggest how to trim things down.

You can do this by going to start and running msinfo32

Click Software Environment > Startup Programs > Edit > Select all > Edit > Copy

Then paste the copied text in your next reply.

7. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

Rollin' Rog, Here's the info. that you requested:
    ======================================
    *StateMgr c:\windows\system\restore\statemgr.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    EM_EXEC c:\progra~1\mousew~1\system\em_exec.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Go!Zilla dial-up fix "c:\program files\gozilla\go.exe" /fixras All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HP-AiO c:\progra~1\hewlet~1\hpoffi~1\register\remind32.exe .DEFAULT Startup
    ICSMGR icsmgr.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    MSConfigReminder c:\windows\system\msconfig.exe /reminder All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    MSMSGS c:\progra~1\messen~1\msmsgs.exe /background .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    NAV DefAlert c:\progra~1\norton~2\norton~2\defalert.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Norton Auto-Protect c:\progra~1\norton~2\norton~2\navapw32.exe /loadquiet All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Norton eMail Protect c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton antivirus\poproxy.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    PCHealth c:\windows\pchealth\support\pchschd.exe -s All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SSDPSRV c:\windows\system\ssdpsrv.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    SystemTray systray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    TaskMonitor c:\windows\taskmon.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    TCASUTIEXE tcaudiag -off All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ===========================================
    I don't know how to clean this up and make it more readable for you. I'm wondering, if I had your e-mail address, if it wouldn't paste into an e-mail memo better?

To provide you with some supplemental information, this is what transpired when I booted up this AM:

Only 2 icons appeared in my SysTray. Ctrl-Alt-Del showed Autodisk (not Responding). I clicked End Task and the other icons came up OK. I then went to My Computer and only a blank window came up and I was locked up. Ctrl-Alt-Del showed, of course, My Computer (not responding). But End Tasking out of here wasn't that easy. In fact, the End Task window locked up and I had no alternative but to turn off the computer and reboot. I then R clicked on Start and L clicked on Explore, which normally gives one the entire tree showing all the drives. But now it brings up only a blank window and locks up. Likewise, trying to End Task out of here was fruitless and I had to turn it off again. That's where I am at the moment. Chuck

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice