1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start Menu Vista Glitch

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lisdee, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lisdee

lisdee Thread Starter

Lost connection between "Start" menu items and the items themselves.:eek:
    My OS is Vista.
    Eg: If I go "Start" > Documents> to a particular document - nothing happens, the document does not open
    Eg: If I go "Start" > Programmes > Games > Free Cell - nothing happens, the programme does not open
    Eg: If I go "Start" > Control Panel > Network Internet > Internet Options - nothing happens

It seems to have happened for no reason.
    The link between Desktop icons and their progammes is still operative but the link between Start menu items and their objects is lost.

How might I restore whatever the linkage is which is lost? :confused:

TSG Sysinfo is

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2037 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 57076 MB, Free - 8942 MB; E: Total - 55894 MB, Free - 50996 MB;
    Motherboard: Intel Corp., Base Board Product Name
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus 2012, Updated and Enabled

The laptop is a Toshiba

:) Many thanks for your help. (And captainiron276 for your TSG assurance)

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Believe me, the TSG System info is absolutely OK to download, please do so and post the results.

To help us help you,please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread. You can use the TSG Info to fill in your computer information in your user profile as well.

Also, if its a brand name system like an Acer,Dell or HP, please post the exact model of the system.

Please run the Check disk to check for errors. With the problem your having you might not be able to accomplish this.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Check-your-hard-disk-for-errors

3. lisdee

lisdee Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2037 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 57076 MB, Free - 8942 MB; E: Total - 55894 MB, Free - 50996 MB;
    Motherboard: Intel Corp., Base Board Product Name
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus 2012, Updated and Enabled

The laptop is a Toshiba

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  5. lisdee

lisdee Thread Starter

I did 3 things: None of which worked, and I am running out of time as I need to access documents

1) http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...isk-for-errors When I clicked that link the "Page unobtainable" msg came up.
    2) I did try the "Contact us" route, but Microsoft is closed in the UK over weekends.
    3) On Vista one has "My Computer" appear as a desk-top icon, and not under the Start menu as in previous Windows. I followed that, but as the "Tools" page is not shown on Vista, I was soon lost and ploughing around hopelessly.

6. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Click on the link in my first post, it is working. Or, here is the info from that link.

7. lisdee

lisdee Thread Starter

I've done 2 things:
    1) I went to Computer>C Drive>rt click> Properties>Tools>Error Checking>Check Now>tick Automatically Fix File System Errors>Start >and then a window opens saying "Windows Cant check the disk while its in use" and asks "Do you wan t to check for hard disc errors the next time you start your computer?" so I clicked "Schedule disc check" and then tried to re-boot.

BUT because Reboot works off the "Start" button it isnt working. So I pulled the plug, then restarted. The problem remains.

2) I went to Computer>C Drive>rt click> Disc check - I ran that all the way through, and it found no errors in the file systems.

I'm not very computer literate, and I'm getting desperate, so thank you for taking the time and trouble to keep trying
    Regards, Lis

8. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Lis,

Thanks for the update. Hopefully one of the Tech's will have further instruction for you in this matter.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!