1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start up and Networking Problem!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fixdeluxe1, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fixdeluxe1

fixdeluxe1 Thread Starter

My friend has brought his PC over to my house,and managed to connect everything fine(my wireless network).It also works on his and my laptops.But then one day,he was experiencing problems,the computer was working fine,he was downloading a few torrents,but they weren't actually downloading,the internet was connected and he was surfing around,and then his PC kept on restarting,like 5-6 times he got on,logged onto MSN,and started surfing and then baam,it restarted itself,then it started restarting on bootup(I checked Temp,Clock everything,running at 36-38 degrees,and I turned off overclock).I then chose to run it on safe mode(without networking) and I then forcefully flicked the switch off.I thought it was a power supply/cord problem so I went and got another cord,which seemed to work fine,but then another restart(this was before safe mode).

Then I left it for a few hours,and when me and him got back,we restarted(no pass on his PC) and we were stuck waiting for almost 12 Minutes waiting for it to load(we could easily open Task Manager)and we saw that it was running only CORE tasks,and explorer was at about 13,000KB,but no taskbar or other startup things.Funnt enough when it got around to it,it came back to life,and then started loading everything,as normal,but 12mins we saw nothing but Task Manager,Core tasks and Desktop Background.

Then,it said wireless network was connected,it has been playing up before on his PC,it has IP Adress,Subnet Gateway DNS Sever etc but when we opened up a Google Chrome or IE window,would take ages to load(was saying active 52Mps)and then wouldn't display.Then I thought,that's strange it sais it's connected,but when I went to repair,it then came up as it could not connect,for IP problems,but when I restarted and used MSN Diagnosis,it said IP was perfect and Deafault Gateway was the problem................

I can run programs while it only shows the desktop background(by opening the Info about task manager bar and then opening the End User License Agreement,which opens up a notepad text file,in which I can get acess to the files on my PC,but it shows a flashlight searching when I go to My Computer,maybe a Hard Disk problem?).

Any help would be apprecieated.

Thanks
    Fixdeluxe1

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya fixdeluxe1.

The last line sounds very feasible, it could very well be the hard drive starting to die although it could be something slightly less dramatic like overheating.

First step is to take any data off the hard drive while you can still access it. Take the hard drive out and `slave` it to another one to get the best results also that way, you`ll be able to check for dust build-up and dodgy connecters as well.

While it`s connected to the host machine, empty the temp files in the slaved drive and let the host run an anti-virus scan just to eliminate any problems in that respect. It`s possible that if the drive is on the way out, it`ll crash the host machine so be prepared for it.

When and if the scan finishes, run scandisk on the slave drive by right-clicking on the drive in `My Computer`, open Properties / Tools and then Error-checking making sure both boxes are ticked.

Assuming the drive passes all the above activity, clean the problem machine of any dust and debris, put the drive back in and booting from CD, run a repair from the installation CD. Again,assuming you`ve got this far without problems, re-install the mobo drivers along with any other drivers relevant to any attached cards and chips and don`t forget the anti-virus too as they sometimes don`t like the system being fiddled with and show up as non active after a repair.

Jenny

3. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

First Name:
    Jim
    Torrents are an excellent source for Viruses and Malware. My advice is to scan that PC with Malwarebytes-Antimalware & SuperAntispyware and allow them to clean/delete any nasties they find.

Jim

4. fixdeluxe1

Torrents have always been reliable for me,I usually only go for the "trusted" files and run a AV check on them before installing,and my friend is the same.

I thank you for your help though,checked and it wasn't a prob.

5. fixdeluxe1

Thanks for the help,will do.

I have suspected his hard drives for a while,older 80GB NTFS ones.I may get him a brand new 1TB one and another 650GB one like my setup.I will reformat if nessacary.

Thanks
    Fixdeluxe1

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!