start-up disk - does it matter what windows version

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
M

MadDogMugsy

Happy New Year all!

I have a pc that needs to be reformatted - never had virus protection, etc. (so infected with viruses that ISP called to tell them that bad folks were using their info maliciously and were about to be cutoff!).

It currently has XP on it - I am going to re-install 98SE.

My question - is it okay to use a 98 start up disk to attempt the fdisk/reformat mission ?

many thanks
MDM

edit - it came from Gateway with 98SE ... someone "upgraded" to XP and that OS is failing (eaten alive by viruses) - just want to go back to good ole 98!

Using a windows 98 disk will be fine. Just make sure it has cd rom support on it as you will need it to reinstall windows.

M

MadDogMugsy

thank you kind sir!

... off to save the world (or at least my buddies pc :D )

best cheers
MDM

:( i don,t think you can use the 98se bootdisk,i went through the same thing,installed xp pro over 98se then went to go back to 98se but couldn,t fdisk with 98se bootdisk,it kept saying wrong msdos version,got a boot disk of boot.com which was version 7 of msdos and then was able to use fdisk and format.i must add my file system in xp was ntfs which might explain why the 98 boot disk wouldn,t work.

Win98 boot disks work fine.

If you have a NTFS partition, just delete first. It shows as a Non-DOS partition. One reason not to use NTFS. Difficult to get into when there's a problem.

You have good info from n2gun and bob, just make sure the boot disk is write protected before you use it. Otherwise, the virus may infect the boot disk and you will have the same problem. I would also suggest re-installing XP. That is where the Windows future is going. Personally, still using 98se as I like it but, most reviews of XP are good.

SeeYa

M

MadDogMugsy

Thanks all!

The fdisk/format went well
I created a Win98SE boot disk at http://www.bootdisk.com/ ... no issues at all - very smooth mission

... unfortunately I did not see rugrats common-sense post about protecting the boot disk before I started. I will do this in the future (thank you).
I did install Norton though and ran a scan right away (all is well).

Thanks all for your fabulous assistance

My only remaining issue is the display (I have a new thread on that http://forums.techguy.org/t111314/s.html) which is making me scratch me head

best cheers
MDM

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online