1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start Up Error: No Master IDE H.D.D. Found! Press F1 To Continue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Viper1x0, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Viper1x0

Viper1x0 Thread Starter

I need some help. I just finished building this machine and I'm getting this error each time I start up. Let me give you my current config:

ASUS P5K-E WiFi-AP
    160GB ATA/100 Maxtor (OS is loaded on this drive WinXP Home SP2)
    160GB S-ATA WD
    DVD-RW S-ATA Pioneer
    CDRW IDE
    1GB DDR2 533 x2

Preface:

This MBO has 6 S-ATA connectors on it for setting up a RAID0, 1, 5, or 10. The MBO manual states; "when using the connectors in standard IDE mode, connect the primary (boot) hard disk drive to the SATA 1/2/5 Connector. Refer to the table below for the recommended SATA hard disk drive connections."

The table reads as follows; Connector SATA1/2/5/6, color; Red, Setting; Master, Use; Boot Disk. Connector; SATA3/4, color; Black, Setting; Slave, Use; data disk

My Setup:

I currently have the BIOS set so the SATA connectors are in IDE mode. (I tried to set them in SATA mode under this config and that started a whole other set of issues. I put it back to IDE)

The two SATA devices I'm using are connected to SATA3/4. I connected this way because my thought is that neither one of these drives are the Boot drive and if your not a boot drive your a slave. (this could be where the issue is)

The following 2 drives are connected via the IDE connector on the MBO.

The 160GB ATA/100 Maxtor has the OS loaded on it and the jumper is set to Master. It is connnected to the primary/black IDE connector. In the BIOS I have this drive set as number 2 in the boot priority.

The IDE CDRW has the jumper set to Slave. It is connected to the secondary/Gray connector on the IDE cable. In the BIOS I have this drive set at number 1 in the boot priority.

Every time I start up the system I get the following error: No Master IDE H.D.D. Found. Press F1 To Continue. I press F1 and the OS loads up and all looks to be ok. I would like to get rid of this error at start up. Second and less improtant; I would like to be able to take advantage of the two SATA drives and run them in SATA mode, but I can live with out that.
    I'm open to all questions and suggestions. Sorry for the long post.

2. WarLord725

WarLord725

you could try setting the drive to cable select... and make sure that the optical drive and the HD don't share the same IDE cable.... also... try turning off the functionality of the SATA in the BIOS if your not using it.... also.... try to stick with SATA only... as it is probably giving that error because you have SATA enabled stuff and none of them are the master.... (I still use IDE myself... but if you want to make use of SATA... stick with SATA and try not to mix it up) hope those suggestions help

3. Viper1x0

Viper1x0 Thread Starter

WarLord725, currently I have the SATA truned off on the Bios. All connections are running as IDE. My MBO only has one IDE connector, so I'm not sure how to have both IDE devices on different cables. You think if I change the location of the OS from the IDE drive to the SATA drive it would make a difference?

Thank you for the suggestions.

4. WarLord725

WarLord725

it could.... try booting off a SATA drive as the master and see if that works....

5. Viper1x0

Viper1x0 Thread Starter

That was one of the things I was going to try, but I wanted to see if there were any other suggestions before I remove the OS from the IDE drive and reload it on the SATA drive.

As mentioned in my question; this MBO has 6 SATA ports. If I'm running them in IDE mode does that apply to all the ports you think or just the two slave ones. see my original question for config of the SATA ports on this MBO.

Thanks,

6. AC_

AC_

I am having the same problem on an ASUS Rampage Formula. I am running all SATA. Did you ever figure out how to fix this?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/683919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice