1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start-Up floppie not being recognised

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hoggyland, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hoggyland

hoggyland Thread Starter

I formatted my hard disk and have tried to re-install windows using the Start-Up disc I had previosly produced.
    It worked however my CD Rom drive was not recognised and I was panicked into generally playing around in areas that I did not recognise.

Now I am in the state that I am only getting the message ' Insert System Disc' when using the start-up disc that was OK to start with.

I would like basic help on what procedure I should use to sort out my predicament

Thanks

2. thib4

thib4

first try getting another startup disc

is the a drive trying to hit the disc(light going on and off or hear it trying to read)

3. hoggyland

hoggyland Thread Starter

Many thanks for your help, however things seem to have got worse, when I have again tried to find a way to solve the problem myself.

When I boot the computer now it blips twice and seems to dwell for a considerabe time.

A time- out message appears, also 'Bios Disabled'. It then finishes with the original add disk message

I know this will mean that I have got additional problems and at the moment unless there is anything you can sugest I try I will have to resort to getting a proffesional to look at it.

I am considering re-loading MS Dos!. However this time I am going to wait to see if any further advice is forthcoming, thanks again

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

When you tried to solve the problem yourself....do you remember accessing the bios setup? Do you know which key to press for your particular machine to get there? If so, try going back and select 'default.'

5. hoggyland

hoggyland Thread Starter

Many thanks,

I think you are on the right track. We (the wife) did get into the SCSI area which we did not understand by pressing, Control A. At this stage we exited because we were unsure what to do. Then we read somewhere that we should restart using the F1 or F2 keys held down. To our knowledge we have not entered anything or altered anything knowingly but we may have done something unknowingly. It no longer reacts to Control A and since then we have a time-out problem. You will understand that we are not experts by any means and it is sometimes difficult to remember with certainty what was done and in what sequence.

'A little knowledge can be dangerous' this would appear to apply to the my wife and myself

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice