1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

start up folder

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Akuller, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Akuller

Akuller Thread Starter

I am suddenly getting a Dell folder that automatically opens whenever I turn on my PC. I've gone thru the steps to add/remove items from the start up group, yet, this folder is not an option in there. Any clues to how I can stop this folder from opening? The drive that shows up is C:\Program Files\Dell. It did not used to do this...

Thanks,
    AK

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. Augie65

Augie65

4. Akuller

Akuller Thread Starter

I followed that but never came to the proper place. I may not have been clear enough, it is actually after I log in that the dell folder opens automatically. Is there another place in the regedit for this issue?

Thanks

5. rka0

rka0 Banned

Hi Akuller. You could try this utility which will list all programs on startup which you can stop if you wish,it is safe and totally reversible just follow the link.
    http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php
    Good Luck.

6. Akuller

Akuller Thread Starter

Thanks rka01, but that didn't stop the "C:\Program Files\Dell" folder from automatically opening after I log in. Very useful download, as I removed other stuff but did not solve the problem.

Any other ideas?

Thank you,

7. ChemicalMonkey

ChemicalMonkey

could check your boot.ini file, it might of been screwed with, i dont remember how to add but you can check it by simply searching for the file and then using the find option in notepad and search for Dell or the full file location

8. charluk

charluk

9. Akuller

Akuller Thread Starter

That is my last option I think. I'm not very satisfied with my current Dell help, (getting through & communication wise) but it's worth a shot.

Thanks!

10. rka0

rka0 Banned

11. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Download, install and run HiJackThis

Run the Scan and save log option.
    When the LOG file opens in Notepad, select all, copy
    Then return here and in a reply post, paste.
    This will allow us to review all of your startup entries and hopefully find the culprit.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice