1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start up issues in WIN98se

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by JulesatA2Z, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JulesatA2Z

JulesatA2Z Thread Starter

Two computers, both with WIN 98 SE. On both, I'm getting "bad command or file name" during startup. On my laptop, it boots anyway. On my desktop, I have to hit "enter" twice until it bypasses and then boots up to Windows.

What do I need to do to correct it?? I've run MSConfig, and there's nothing OBVIOUS in the startup folder, but I must be missing something!

Thanks!!

Jules

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Select Autoexec.bat, right mouse, edit
    Copy/paste the contents back here.

3. birdsg

birdsg

I would sussest three items #1 No adware: a program for getting rid of spam and cookies running resident on your hard drive. #2 spybot: Amazing what this little critter turns up! #3 PC Rescue: This little fellow can repair rundll32 errors that can cause your computer to hang when trying to shut down and boot up.. Seems as there are partial programs, after time that did not completly delete when uninstalled and are causing conflicts in your mapping..Worked for me!

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Jules:

What programs are listed in the MSCONFIG "Startup" tab and which ones of them are checked?

Can you post the list here? Make sure to spell them exactly as you see them listed.

Other than

ScanRegistry

SystemTray

Antivirus program entries

Firewall program entries

very few other programs need to run in the background.

If you want, you can research your list of programs here by making use of the search option.

5. JulesatA2Z

C:\Windows\taskmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Phoenix Technologies\BaySwap.exe
    C:\Program Files\Phoenix Technologies\TBupdate.exe
    Rundll32.exe powerprofile.dll Load Current Power Scheme
    C:\Windows\Scanregw.exe\autorun
    Systray.exe
    C:\Windows\Shutdownaware.exe
    Mtask.exe
    And all of the Symantec startup files

This is what's in startup on my laptop...I have to swap bays on here, so I know what the BaySwap.exe is but I sure don't know what that TBupdate.exe is!! I just noticed that this morning when I was writing them down.

Thanks for your help...I will check the desktop later!

Julie

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're not spelling all of them right, and you just need to write down and post what's in the leftmost column next to the squares. Don't post the file paths.

Based on what you're telling me, tbupdate.exe needs to remain checked and enabled. Read here.

mstask.exe can be unchecked and disabled for most users. Read here.

If you keep the settings in Power Options in the Control Panel set to "Always On" and "Never"(which is a good idea), you can uncheck and disable the LoadPowerProfile entries. Read here.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Any programs in the MSCONFIG / Startup tab would be run AFTER Windows has started.

The "bad command or file name" error is happening BEFORE Windows is starting.

So as WhitPhil suggested, what is listed in your autoexec.bat file.

8. birdsg

birdsg

Another thing is to run a program tht checks for erors in your regestries. I found that there was onehundred forty four errors. After cleaning them up life is better!

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

While there might be registry errors, from the information the problem still just appears to be programs set to load before Windows even starts.

Did you have over 140 actual errors or 140 entries that didn't point to anything. There is a big difference.

10. JulesatA2Z

Flavallee,

On my desktop are the following:
    load power profile
    Scan Registry
    Advanced Tools Check (don't know what that is!)
    Motive Smart Bridge
    Verizon on-line dialer (I have DSL)
    A-WINPOET-SERVICE (VERIZON)
    Norton
    The desktop comes up with bad command or file name twice, and will not go further until I hit the "enter" key twice...then it boots to windows.

On the laptop:
    BaySwap
    Load Power Profile
    Scan Registry
    System Tray
    Shutdownaware
    Norton

The laptop gives me "bad command or file name" at startup, but it continues to boot to windows.

I've tried to restore a registry backup. That didn't change anything.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

And the reason that it continues to boot to Windows is that the error is from a bad command or filename referenced in the autoexec.bat file. Can you again please post the contents as WhitPhil requested in the very first response.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

JulesatA2Z,

To be clear on what you have stated. For example, in the first post "On my desktop, I have to hit "enter" twice until it bypasses and then boots up to Windows"

So all these errors are happening before Windows has started to boot?

Or are you getting these errors AS windows is booting? For example, after the desktop has started to show.

The supplied information is different and somewhat incomplete. But accuracy is important to help determine where to look for the solution.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Jules:

Please provide the contents of the AUTOEXEC.BAT file, as you're being asked to do. Bob is much more experienced than me at fixing computer problems.

----------------------------------------------------------------

On my desktop are the following:
    load power profile
    Scan Registry
    Advanced Tools Check (don't know what that is!)
    Motive Smart Bridge
    Verizon on-line dialer (I have DSL)
    A-WINPOET-SERVICE (VERIZON)
    Norton
    The desktop comes up with bad command or file name twice, and will not go further until I hit the "enter" key twice...then it boots to windows.

Place a checkmark in SystemTray. This one and ScanRegistry should always remain checked. Advanced Tools Check(advchk.exe) can be unchecked.

On the laptop:
    BaySwap
    Load Power Profile
    Scan Registry
    System Tray
    Shutdownaware
    Norton

The laptop gives me "bad command or file name" at startup, but it continues to boot to windows.

I've tried to restore a registry backup. That didn't change anything.

Leave all these checked

----------------------------------------------------------------

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice