1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start up issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Andalaya, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andalaya

Andalaya Thread Starter

Long story, but I think it's important to describe the whole thing:

I am having problems getting my pc to start up and stay running. This started 4 days ago, when I was playing WoW, and my monitor went into sleep mode out of nowhere. No input from me would turn it back on, so I tried resetting my pc. My pc wouldn't start up, instead it made a series of soft, widely-spaced clicks, then beeped. Letting my pc sit for a while and then trying again would let it startup, but at some point the monitor would sleep again and I'd have to start over. After checking my cables and connections and cleaning any dust out, nothing changed. I kept getting the beeping. I decided to try to look up the beeping, but I'm not overly familiar with bios and post beeps. From researching my type of mobo's beep codes, my guess at it was a video adaptor problem. Which made some sense to me at the time because my monitor was sleeping. I replaced my video card, and after doing so, my pc was able to start up every time.

Thought I was finished, but got a nice surprise once I got into windows: whenever I did anything other than move the mouse or open a file, it would freeze. It froze 2 times while trying to install the drivers for the new video card. Once I was able to install the drivers, my pc needed to reset, and instead of loading windows, I'd get the DISK BOOT FAILURE error. I checked all cables to my hdd, changed boot order to hdd first (I normally do cd first) and even took the cmos battery out. After all of this, bios would not detect my hdd. I had my cd drive unplugged at the time, so I plugged that back in, and bios was not picking that up either. I pushed the eject button on the cd and nothing happened, so I figured it was a power issue. My cd and hdd use the same power string, so that would make sense. My psu was modular, so I moved the cord to another port on the back, and no change. At this point I wondered if my psu was bad, everything else was running but I could get no power for the 2 drives. So I switched it out for an 850 (it was a 580) and now both have power and bios picks them up 100% of the time.

Windows could load again, but I was still having the freezing issue. So as a last attempt I reinstalled windows. But it froze again attempting to load the drivers for the video card, and now, I can't load windows again. It's boots properly, gets past the 'verifying DMI data pool' part, no disk boot error, but now stops on a blank black screen right past that step, and nothing is fixing the issue.

At this point I am out of ideas, and gradually getting more frustrated. I'm hoping that someone may have a solution for my issues. It seems that everytime I fix one problem, something else takes its place. I am pretty sure it's not my hdd, I originally swapped it out and tried another during the monitor-sleep phase and my pc still did it. If anyone has an idea on what I can do, it's highly appreciated.

2. BruinBeer

BruinBeer

Could be a dying motherboard.
    It can also be a overheating problem. Make sure the CPU heatsink is properly fitted.
    You can also check the ram: see that it is properly fitted. If you have more than one ram stick, you can take one out and start again. If the problem still exist, put it back and remove the next one

3. Andalaya

Andalaya Thread Starter

I have checked the heatsink on the cpu and it seems to be fine, I also recently put new thermal paste on it because most of its original thermal was gone. All fans run fine (I have a total of 5 various fans in my case, 4 are very close to the cpu and at the moment both sides of the case are open). When I checked the heat sink I also made sure the cpu was seated properly, and it was relatively cool to the touch even though it had been running for some time while I tried to fix my problem. I did check the temp in BIOS too but I can't remember what it was, don't remember it being a number worth worrying about though.

I did take out my 4 sticks of ram, and have tested 2, with the same result. I can test the other 2, but I'm not sure that will solve my problem.

Part of me thinks it may be the mobo, also. I've also had some issues recently with my IP address going bad, and I've been told that it's a mobo issue, though I'm not sure myself if that's true or not.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice