1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

start up list

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by l+Dark+l, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. l+Dark+l

l+Dark+l Thread Starter

i have some things in my startup list in "msconfig" that i dont have and want anymore, is there a way i can delete them out of there? :confused:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you are sure they are not need by PC then you should be able to untick them - that will stop them running - or if you goto add/remove programs and remove the programs you do not want the associated startup file should be removed from msconfig.

for a description of startup files look here http://www.sysinfo.org/startupinfo.php

3. l+Dark+l

l+Dark+l Thread Starter

i tried to delete it from the add/remove programs list but i get an error "the specified module could not be found" :mad:

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. rude

rude

If you are getting "the specified module could not be found" then you need to remove the registry entries.

To do that:
    Make sure you backup the registry before editing.
    Select Start > Run

type "regedit",without quotes, and press Enter.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

The Add/Remove Programs list is built from the keys listed beneath the Uninstall folder.

Locate the key for the program that has been uninstalled, right click the key and click Delete.

Be very careful. Once the key has been deleted it's impossible to use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall if you make an incorrect selection

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223454

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice