start up menu items?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Faithful one

My father has windows ME and is having trouble trying to figure out WHAT he should have or not have checked at startup. He said he had a BUNCH of things checked PLUS when he was trying to clean out folders he said he had about 10 McAfee folders.
FAithful one

I know you have to have "Task Monitor" "System Tray" and "Scan Registry" checked. I usually have my anti virus program checked also although I don't know if it is neccesary. Do you know how to access the "Startup" options?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Pipercub:

In most cases, TaskMonitor (taskmon.exe) isn't needed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faithful one:

Go here and click the "HijackThis Self Installer" link so you can download the HJTSETUP.EXE file. Once it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to start the install process of HijackThis 1.99.1. Make sure to direct it to install inside the C:\PROGRAM FILES folder. Once it's been installed, make sure no browser windows are open, then run a scan with it. Once the scan is finished(which will take less than a minute), save the resulting log, then copy-and-paste its entire contents here.

The log will tell what programs are running in the background and if any "nasties" are present.

Windows ME requires the following to be running in the background:

ScanRegistry (scanregw.exe)

SystemTray (systray.exe)

StateMgr

Antivirus program entries

Firewall program entries

Most of the others can be disabled from running in the background. What we need to determine is which others listed in that computer really need to run in the background.

If your father is trying to uninstall some of the programs in that computer, he needs to be doing it via the Add/Remove Programs list in the Control Panel and not haphazardly deleting folders from within the C:\PROGRAM FILES folder or whereever he's deleting them from.

What antivirus program is he actually using in that computer?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online