1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start up Problem - Hp Pavilion Power 15 laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unrolo, Sep 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. unrolo

unrolo Thread Starter

Hi all,
    So I've had this laptop for the past 3 years and within the first months i encountered a problem on startup. It's running windows 10, has a 1050 graphics, i7-7700hq, 16gb ram 1tb hd and 250ssd (windows 10). I've reinstalled windows several times, contacted HP and tried what they told me. It's not a massive problem so i haven't taken it to repair or anything and the warranty is over now. The problem is, on the occasional startup, everything will be slow (laggy), the sound is affected, the startup itself is super slow too, the cursor "hops" about, sometimes the usb slots dont work on that session. All of this fixes after i manage to restart it, but sometimes ill restart it and it will happen again maybe this time the usb slots don't work either so i have to force shutdown. Sometimes i have to restart it several times until i get a "normal session" and it all works perfectly. So ye its a problem that only affects from startup, it won't happen if the session is already started, except if it goes on hibernation or sleep, in this case sometimes it does happen and i have to restart etc...
    Hope someone can help out, thank you ;)

2. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    This kind of thing is hard to diagnose. I would look at the Hard drive a a possible culprit. Try using crystaldiskinfo to see if it reveals a failing hard drive.
    https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/
    You did not mention what HP told you to do. Do you still have an open case # on the issue?
    It could also be a problem with the power supply. A system like yours can draw a fair bit of energy, and if it is not getting it, strange things can happen.
    Since you have re-installed windows, It does not sound like a software issue. You might look into whether there are any BIOS updates.
    Please post more info on your system on your next reply.

3. unrolo

unrolo Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply Sean. Their suggestions were a couple of driver updates and also a bios update, its hard to know when its fixed because it doesn't happen all the time it doesn't necessarily happen everyday but it can happen several times in a day. So every time i updated what they told me i had to wait for something to happen to come back to them and tell them it wasn't fixed. I haven't contacted them since, it's been over half a year.
    Here's more info about my laptop and also pictures from crystaldisk:

View attachment 271995

SSD:

ssd.png

HDD:

HDD.png

4. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    Since it sounds like you opened the case with HP while you were still under warranty, you should be able to go back to them to continue to work on the issue.
    Both drives do look fine, I am concerned that 54 degrees C is quite hot. You might want to ask HP what the normal temperature for that drive should be. It could be something as simple as a heat-sink not properly installed on the NVME drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233477

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice