1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start up Problem - Monitor Lights all flashing - blank screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Diddler, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Diddler

Diddler Thread Starter

Okay here is what is happening, I just cleaned up a PC that I own Windows ME OS, more or less a Dell Machine, with a couple of bits added.

Anyway after I was finished cleaning it up I brought it up to the house. It started up fine, Detected everything (from what I can see) but then as soon as it starts to go to the Desktop the Monitor goes blank and all the lights on the Monitor are flashing. I could not figure out what the problem is so I re-started and booted in Safe Mode which worked, I then went to look for the Drivers but it did not detect the Monitor or have drivers available for it (in Safe Mode - is this normal?), I think it is a case that some of the Drivers have been deleted.

So my questions are....

- Is it missing Drivers?
    - If so where can I get them?
    - Any other Ideas?

Thanks,

Alan

2. qldit

qldit

Good Evening Alan, I understand you can successfully boot into safe mode.
    Understand that in safe mode a basic driver is used to allow video display.

Your symptom is similar to an out of range kind of problem as though you might be using an old monitor where sometime previously you may have had a more modern one and have increased the video settings which is unsuitable for the current one.

Whilst in Safe Mode, go to the control panel > Display > Settings and knock the screen size and colour settings back to say, the lowest available.

See if that allows windows to normally boot, you can increase the settings later if possible.

qldit.

3. Diddler

Diddler Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply matey,

The only problem is when I tried that it automatically boots back up and Im assuming it is to the original settings as they dont save when I exit out of Safe Mode.

Should I just redownload the Motherboard Drivers & Dell Monitor Drivers...should this work?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

While in safe mode, delete the video driver. Reboot in normal mode; cancel any found new hardware wizard. Now install the video driver you downloaded from dell. There is no need for a monitor driver. Your os should detect it as a plug and play monitor. It does not hurt to install the monitor driver, it just does not do anything that the os does not already do.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/480064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice