start up problem screens

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

fwjo

My computer went into safe mode. A friend walked me out of it over the phone. Now when I turn my computer on, HP Pavilion me, There is a four choice screen 1 normal, 2 log boot, 3 can` remember this one and 4 step by step. It counts down and will go on if you sellect 1 or 2. Then a red screen takes over and says nav auto protect, unable to initialize virus scanning engine database files. You have to press enter to go on then it boot up.
I can still run my norton and it scans out my email. So what do I do to get these screens out

Styxx

Banned
When prompted by Windows, use the arrow keys below the Del key to choose option no. 1, Normal mode, and press Enter. To find solution to the Norton Anti-virus (NAV) warning uninstall NAV in the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel; Restart your computer; Then re-install NAV.

Ensure you have a firewall running like free Sygate from http://download.com.com/3000-2092-10184369.html?tag=lst-0-1

You must be on-line to register Sygate during Sygate's install.

Styxx

Banned
Check your available resources by right-clicking My Computer; clicking Properties; Click the Performance tab. Resources available are displayed as percent there at top. Check it when you get done running the System Configuration Utility mentioned below.

Click the Start button; Run; type 'msconfig', without the quotation marks, in the Run box and click OK; Then click the Startup tab; Uncheck anything you don't need running in the background. For reference on what's not needed running in the background in the System Configuration Utility, view this website first and print out the list:

http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Running_items.htm

It's important that you print out the above mentioned list. The site provides a printer friendly link.

In the System Configuration Utility (SCU), you can uncheck programs you suspect one at a time and restart your computer. If something doesn't work right, you can always go back into the SCU and re-check it and restart your computer via the Start button. The changes are completely reversible by re-checking an item in SCU or by selecting Normal Startup under the General tab in the SCU and all the programs listed run when Windows starts as it was before you started.

start\run\type msconfig in the white box hit okay. When msconfig comes up on the general tab click on advanced located in the bottom right corner.

Attachments

fwjo

Thanks Brindle, that did it. The nav red screen still come up, But I won`t have the cd until tomorrow to install Norton again. Should I go ahead and uninstall Norton now or wait?

You need to configure norton so it doesn't scan at boot-up. I don't use any Norton products so can't tell you how that's done but know it's somewhere in the configuration settings.
Glad you got the other problem fixed

Styxx

Banned
Uninstal NAV now, it can not detect virus, Trojan or variant in its current state.

fwjo

If I can still run all the Norton scans and it is still scanning out my emails with symantec, why would it not still be checking for virus?

Styxx

Banned
I do, happen to or have used Symantec products extensively, brindle. When the below occurs as reported by the actual orginal poster:

Then a red screen takes over and says nav auto protect, unable to initialize virus scanning engine database files.
It means that the NAV Real-Time scanner can not load (that means NAV is corrupted) and needs uninstalled/reinstalled. It does not mean NAV's boot-up scanner is malfunctioning as you incorrectly suggest brindle. Note that the reported error messages say Auto-Protect, not Boot-up, was unable to scan or similar language related to boot-up scanning. Auto-Protect is NAV's Real-Time scanner. In other words NAV itself, not some optional feature, can not start.

Besides, to err on the side of caution why wouldn't you uninstall; restart your computer re-install? It would only do no harm.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. As I said I do not use Norton and shouldn't of replied to that part of the question.

Thanks again Styxx

Styxx

Banned
Additionally, the 'scan at startup' feature is not there in later (last two) versions of NAV.

Boy I should learn to keep my mouth shut. Haven't used norton since the 3.1 days

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online