1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start Up Problem.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TimCutler, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TimCutler

TimCutler Thread Starter

Hello,

Lately, I have been getting the following message on start up:

CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad
    Press F1 to Run SETUP
    Press F2 to load default values and continue

I press F1 to enter the BIOS to find that the date has changed to sometime

last year - today it showed as Fri Aug 09, 2002 & the time as 00:00:00.

It is easy enough for me to put the settings back to what they should be in the BIOS, but I am wondering why the BIOS does not hold its settings.

The motherboard is only a few months old. It is an AMIBIOS, (C)2000 American Megatrends, Inc. I have an AMD 2000+ XP chip with 512Mb of DDRAM on an EliteGroup ECS K7S5A motherboard.

I have not changed the battery on the motherboard as it is quite new. I would like to know if there is something else that could be causing this problem.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated - thank you.

Best wishes.

2. Yankee Rose

Yankee Rose

Hi there:

Could be a bad BIOS flash. Can you update it?

If that doesn't work, try replacing the mobo battery.

Reseat your RAM as well.

Good luck! :)

3. TimCutler

TimCutler Thread Starter

Hello,

Thanks for the reply - good advice.

Best wishes.

4. rachit

rachit

I have seen the smae error. I tried all of the things that were suggested to you but still get the error on a reset. (Not a regular shutdown/start up). Do you have any additional information? There were other problems with the pc going on at the time I flashed the BIOS...should I try to flash it again now thw the other issues have been resolved? :(

5. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) On some mother boards you have to load the default settings after the CMOS has been cleared, save the changes, then go back and adjust any settings to your preferences. Have you tried pressing the F2 key to reset defaults? Also, I have seen brand new mother boards shipped with a weak or defective CMOS battery.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

6. TimCutler

TimCutler Thread Starter

Hello.

Thanks for all your help.

I have written to ECS - the motherboard manufacturers. Their customer support in England replied with an automatic reply with a lot of FAQ's which did not help. In this automatic reply, it suggested I write to [email protected] if my question was not answered. I have written to [email protected] twice & not had a reply.

I'll replace the battery if a BIOS update does not fix the problem.

Best wishes.

Tim.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice