Start up Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

angel44

There is something wrong with my computer. I try to start it but it is not starting correctly. The power comes on and disks are spinning, but it won't start the screen just blinks. About 10-20 mins later the computer just starts up. I think I may have a virus that has corrupted the starting of my computer. I've done everything imaginable, but just don't know what is wrong.

Can someone help?

What version of Windows do you have on the computer? When did the problem start? Did you add any new hardware or software prior to this?

angel44

OS is XP
No new hardwear
the problem started about a week ago i've been try'n to fix it. It seemed to work ok for awhile today and I thought it was all sorted out but then when I turned it back on same old problem
I've been using some antivirus programs try'n to get rid of viruses but nothing new

pugmug

Banned
Sounds more like spyware than a virus.Do you run any anti -spyware programs?

try going into safe mode. run msconfig and then uncheck everything on the startup files. Try boot normally. Let me know what happens

angel44

I tried going into safemode but my computer kept freezing then it resarted and now i have an error message

"windows could not start because the follwing file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file"

now my computer won't even start. What do I do NOW?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online