1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start up problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by el viejo, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. el viejo

el viejo Thread Starter

When trying to reinstall/repair my operating system (Windows XP Home) the sequence process reaches the point where the computer will shut down but it then blue screens with a message "Setup cannot find a CD-ROM drive." However, the CD drive works fine since I have started the reinstallation process using the CD drive with the original Dell disk in the drive.

I changed the boot sequence to start with the CD-ROM drive but that didn't seem to help. My current boot sequence is: 1. Onboard or USB, CD-ROM drive. 2. Onboard SATA hard drive. 3. On board or USB floppy drive (not present). 5. Onboard IDE hard drive (not present).

Now, whenever I boot up I receive the message "Floppy diskette failure. Strike F1 to continue, F2 to run the setup utility." When I hit F1 I get the choice of starting up in Windows XP or continuing the setup process. If I choose to start up, everything apparently works fine. If I choose to continue with the setup, I am led to the same blue screen.

2. fatbobthefirst

fatbobthefirst

Just wondering if you have changed anything on the computer? Motherboard...Etc......
    Reason being. I just had HP send me a new Motherboard. Mine was overheating.
    They sent the MOBO, I changed it out. Now on Startup everytime I have to hit the F2 to continue onto Windows. I didnt try a restore with the CD's but am certain I will have a problem if I ever have to do this. Reason being.. Systems are TATTOOED.

3. el viejo

el viejo Thread Starter

Many thanks for your prompt reply and question.

No, I have not made any changes in my hardware. It is appaently a software problem caused by the reinstall process with Windows XP, or my carelessness in handling the reinstall.

Any help out there as to handle this would be appreciated.

4. el viejo

el viejo Thread Starter

Solved the last part of the poblem: "Floppy diskette failure..." It seems a floppy disk drive (A drive) was somehow and mysteriously installed. When I uninstalled in the device driver, the startup problem disappeared.

However, I still have the blue screen problem with XP reinstallation. When the process reaches the point for the first shutdown, at restart I get a blue screen telling me that setup cannot find a CD-ROM drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!