1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

start up problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by eyedea40, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eyedea40

eyedea40 Thread Starter

When my computer starts up it does not load any programs it also made my wall paper blank. I tried a system restore and i even enabled every thing in msconfig on the start up tab. Any one have any idea how to fix it ?

2. MrTRiX

MrTRiX

Could be a few things, if you post your HiJackThis log maybe we can get a better understanding of your system but from the sounds of it you got some malware. Also are there any other strange symptoms happening?

3. eyedea40

eyedea40 Thread Starter

What is a hijack log..im not sure what it is. The whole problem started a few days ago where my computer recmended a consistency check of drive c and from there it deleted files on its own. Now i get error messages telling me my login and documents cant open because they are corrupted. I am not able to get online and my anti virus and firewall wont start up anymore.

4. MrTRiX

MrTRiX

We can skip the HiJackThis log for now cause your problem sounds pretty serious. I would suggest testing your hardware (Memory/HDD) by running memtest86+ and the hard drive diagonstic tool created by the manufacturer of your hard drive or just use the one from seagate which works on most drives. All these tools will require you to make a floppy disk then restart your computer and boot into it. Any errors on either test means bad hardware. If everything passes without errors you may have a corrupt filesystem at which time you should go to command prompt (Start-Run-"cmd") and type "chkdsk c: /R /X" and it will probably tell you it needs to reboot to test which you should do.

5. eyedea40

eyedea40 Thread Starter

I did the chkdsk c: /R /X and it fixed all the errors, but i am now left with a blank screen with minimum icons and i found my documents and everytime i try to change the wallpaper it wont switch and my startup utlities arent working. I will give the seagate a try though.

6. zbd21

zbd21

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice