Start Up Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bj25

Hello, Seconds after I turn on my computer I get a black screen with white type as follows- The driver provided by Oak Tech. Inc. Program, net work, McAffee scan exe. MCaffee Scan fpr Dos/Pm etc.
This screen stays on until I hit any key. Then, rest of start up process proceeds.
Have had this problem for several weeks.
Thank you.

Welcome to TSG bj25.

The problem is occuring when your autoexec.bat file runs. Probably due to the McAfee scan running from there, but there could be other issues with it as well. Try disabling or reconfiguring McAfee not to scan at startup.

An additional method of troubleshooting is to run msconfig and click on the autoexec.bat tab. There you can remove the checks for individual items in that file to see which one is causing the problem. Or you can disable the entire file by unchecking it on the General page of msconfig.

By the way, msconfig is for Win98. If you have Win95, go to start and run sysedit

By placing a rem plus a space in front of any line in autoexec.bat, it will prevent it from executing.

bj25

Hello Rollin'Rog,
Your msconfig solution worked right away. Thank you very much.
bj25

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online