1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start up problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lawls, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lawls

Lawls Thread Starter

Hi,

This topic was brought up a while ago but apparently the problem was never solved. I have the exact same problem but I didn't understand the directions to the only response this question generated so I will present the problem again:
    when Windows starts, I get the following error message with a dos window opening:
    C:\WINDOWS\INSTAL~1\{AC76B~1\SC_ACR~1.EXE
    The NTDVM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    CS:Oddc IP:01be OP:ff ff ff 00 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks

Jeff

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Go Start then Run and in the Open box, type msconfig and hit Enter. Find the entry relevant to that error message and untick it so it can't start when Windows does. Click Apply and OK your way out then restart. When the system comes back, tick "Don't show this message again" and hit Enter. That has only prevented it from starting but it will point to the programme concerned which may need to be reintalled.

Do your graphics appear to be displaying properly?

3. Lawls

Lawls Thread Starter

Actually no, my graphics haven't looked as they should either. I assumed that they were related and if I fixed one the other would get fixed also. It sounds like you're explaining how to keep the error message from appearing. I was hoping to fix the problem instead, but I don't know how.

4. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

That's what prompted my second question. I believe if you can find and fix the graphics problem you will have cured this rather than just shooting the messenger. The answer possibly lies in finding the right driver so goto Device manager and right click the display adapter to see the Properties then click the Details tab.

You should be looking at the Hardware ID so note down the four characters which follow VEN for Vendor. Then note the four after DEV for Device and take that information to http://www.pcidatabase.com and input it in the relevant search boxes then hit Enter. The next form should show the way to the right website for the card - follow that path and hopefully you wll have this sorted.

5. Lawls

Lawls Thread Starter

I did as you suggested. I got a vendor number (8086), and a device ID (27A2) and I went to the web site you suggested. It let me enter either piece of information but not both. However, neither piece of information helped me. The vendor number told me it was Intel and the device ID just told me more information on the device. I don't know what to do with either piece of information.

6. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice