1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start Up Problems - Erratic Cursor

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by brovic, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brovic

brovic Thread Starter

Hi again Guys,
    My Wife’s Laptop, a Toshiba NB205, has developed an annoying problem. She is running Windows XP (Home Edition) SP3.
    The problem is on Start Up or Re-boot. The PC no longer immediately starts automatically but the ‘TOSHIBA Leading Innovation’ legend appears, along with the notation:

Press (F2) for SETUP, Press (F12) for boot device selection menu.

I have found that by then pressing ‘ENTER’ it continues to boot normally. Further, if I wait about 10 minutes it will boot automatically anyway.
    However, when the ‘log-on’ page appears, the cursor is rapidly flashing or blinking and the keypad does not function.
    I have further found that, by pressing ‘ESC’ the cursor stops its erratic behaviour and I can then continue, although the problem re-appears quite often whilst the PC is being used.
    I have run ‘SpyBot’ and performed a ‘Boot Time Scan’ with no negative results. I have also re-booted using ‘Last known good configuration’ and also gone into ‘F9’ and selected ‘Load Set Up defaults.’
    Any ideas what can be causing this anomaly, please?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Have you been using any cleaner/booster/optimizer/tuneup type utilities?

If you have, there's a good chance that the Windows operating system has been damaged and it's starting to wreak havoc with that computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------

3. brovic

brovic Thread Starter

Thank you, Flavallee. Yes, on that PC we use CC Cleaner and Defrag by Piriform and Tune Up Utilites with Cleverbridge. I guess the next step is to attempt to repair Windows with the CD - but we can't find it. Do we have any other options, please? Thanks.for your help.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I never do a repair of XP. I prefer to do a clean reinstall of XP and get a fresh start. Considering the "cleaners" that you've been using, that's probably your best option.

Not having a XP disc is going to make it difficult for you to do either.

---------------------------------------------------------

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

As you are a bit stuck at the moment without an XP disc try this and post the log.

• Click on Start then Run and type cmd in the search box and hit Enter. At the C: prompt, type chkdsk /r exactly as written here with the gap before the slash, then hit Enter.
    • You will then see a message "Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"
    • Type Y for yes, and hit Enter. Then reboot the computer. The disc check will start when Windows begins loading again. Let all 5 phases run and don't use or turn off the computer. (The disc check process may take an hour or more to finish and may appear to freeze which is normal.)
    • When the disc check is done, it will finish loading Windows.
    • When finished click on Start then Run and type: eventvwr.msc exactly as written here with the gap before the slash , and hit Enter.
    • When Event Viewer opens, click on Application in the left pane. In the main pane scroll down until you find Winlogon under the Source column and double-click on it.
    • This is the log created after running the disc check. Click once on the Copy button [​IMG]
    • Come back here and right click on the message box, select Paste from the pop up menu and the log will appear.

6. brovic

brovic Thread Starter

Thank you, again, Flavallee. I actually performed s Diagnostic check on Office and it corrected a number of faults. I shall have to wait and see if it has made a difference Meanwhile, I shall try Mark1956's suggestion.

7. brovic

brovic Thread Starter

Thank you, Mark 1956, for such a concise and informative suggestion. I will try tonight at the witching hour when all is quiet and get back to you with the report.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1046881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice