1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start-up problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sonofdora, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonofdora

sonofdora Thread Starter

I have just put together a P4 PC and am trying to load an O/S - Windows XP - however, when I boot the unit, I am given the option to enter the BIOS or press F1 to continue - on pressing F1, I get the message:
    "Scan devices please wait',
    "Verifying DMI Pool data........
    MAC Address in APC and EEPROM Failed!
    Press F1 to continue, Please Input Address Next time!"

(I have no idea what all this means other than it tells me something is not right)

The Windows XP CD then boots up and loads until it reaches the first "restart" in the process - on restart the whole process repeats it self and after pressing F1 the loading starts once more - from scratch! I can't get passed this stage.
    My set up is: Soyo P4S DRAGON Ultra m/board; Wildcat 4110 video card; P4 2.0 CPU; CD-ROM; CD-RW;DVD-ROM,WESTERN 100GB HDD and an LS120 drive.
    Can you help please?

2. mommie_geek

mommie_geek

Sounds to me like you have a bad BIOS chip on your motherboard. Has your chip been used before, or is this a brand new from the ground up system?

3. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi There!

It sounds like your system is trying to boot from LAN.

The first thing you need to do is go into the BIOS and make sure that Boot From LAN is not at the top of the boot order.

Make sure that it's:
    1. ATAPI CD-Rom
    2. Removable Devices/Floppy
    3. Hard Drive
    4. LAN or DISABLED

Give that a shot and let us know if it works!

Good Luck!

ST

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice