1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start up problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by telecom69, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

Hi,Im running windows ME,and the computer starts ok and loads up to the desktop and thats as far as it gets,Im left with the hour glass and the pointer which will do nothing,now and again I can get it working for a short time,Ive tried a system restore and it wont,saying out of memory at line 127,another time I had it say dangerously low in resources,would you like to terminate explorer?,and have als had theses two errors show up using Ctrl/Alt/Del, E srcv03, and E si2503,this time I got lucky to write to you any help appreciated please .....

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you start in safe mode?

3. telecom69

I hadnt tried before but just have and everything in there seems to be working ok ...

4. ~Candy~

Take a look at your startups via start button, run, then type msconfig and hit ok....go to the startup tab......uncheck everything except the load power profiles, the statemgr and systray.....then restart......does it start normally? If so, work your way backwards by enabling the virus software first, and so on......

5. telecom69

Hi Candy,sorry for the delay had other problems,I did all you said and got everything back except the printer,which I had installed the previous day,so it looks down to that as its working 100% at the moment,with printer left out....its not a new printer just hasnt been connected for over a year
    Just one question if the computer runs ok,which it seems to with all those things unticked,why do we need them running in the first place?as the computer starts much quicker without them.....thanks for your help in getting me going again..... ;)

6. ~Candy~

That's just it........you don't........many programs when installed decide that you'd like to see them eveytime Windows loads. That's what usually happens if you choose default install instead of controlling what it does and where it goes to begin with ;)

And not having you post what they were before you unticked them.......be sure to get your virus program loaded....and firewall (zonealarm) if you use it.

Here's a handy link to tell you what all the garbage is for:

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice