1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start-up problems

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by LiseOthelie, Feb 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LiseOthelie

LiseOthelie Thread Starter

Hi,

Sorry in advanced, but this is a long and fragmented problem.

So my computer did an update without my approval, and not having enough available space it's been a bit of a headache. Managed to get it out of its update mode, but now it struck in "preparing windows, please don't turn off computer". At first I waited, even left it overnight, and still no sign of turning on properly. Looked up solutions for this and found some that looked alright, including some steps in command prompt. However, when in boot mode it asks me to log into my Microsoft account, even for the command prompt.

Problem is, it doesn't take my password, and I know it's correct. Even logged in to my account on a different device and changed, still no luck. Realised it's probably because it can't connect to the WiFi, so hooked it up with a cable to the router. New problem occurs: the lan light is only on when it's stuck on the "getting windows ready"-screen, but turns off when I send it to boot mode, indicating it's not connected in boot mode. I feel like I've tried everything, and read everywhere, but I can't figure it out.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Run Disk Cleanup , then click on Clean up System Files. That would make it find more stuff to clean up. Hopefully it will remove the botched Updates too,

3. LiseOthelie

LiseOthelie Thread Starter

Thanks, but I can't access anything but the boot screen, everything else sends it to the "window is getting ready"-screen, so I can't access the desktop and disk cleanup at all. I can get to troubleshooting and advanced optionsthrough the boot screen, buy anything from there(except UEFI) requires admin account, which I can't access without internet. And it doesn't seem to register internet through the port cable in boot mode.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Try to go into Safe Mode with Networking, see here: https://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/1386

Once inside Safe Mode with Networking, do Disk Cleanup

If the password still doesn't work.. Download the Win 8 ISO dvd image using another PC, from here : https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows8ISO

If that PC is win 10 or Win 8, you can right click on the ISO and choose Burn disc image..

Boot with the disk and choose Repair.

If after Repair and it still doesn't boot up right, then you'll have to re-install win 8. Boot with the win 8 dvd and re-install windows.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223246

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice