1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

start up problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by XKawN, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XKawN

XKawN Thread Starter

hello, i'm new here. anyways, my pc won't let me restart. most of the times it won't do anything. just freeze on my desktop after clicking restart. if it does shut down it go to a screen that asks if i want to start up normaly, to previous good date or in different modes. after shutting down for awhile it will start back up, but theres always this problem. i have windows xp. avg says theres no threats and i use spyhunter for spyware.........thank you in advance.

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Does it restart in safe mode?

3. XKawN

XKawN Thread Starter

no. it won't, but if i shut it down with the button and come back later it will restart. kind of annoying, lol.....

4. CRemedies

CRemedies

I have a workaround but not an actual fix. Go into control panel and double-click on user accounts. Click "change the way users log on and off." Remove the check from "Use the welcome screen." This should resolve your shutdown/restart problem.

5. XKawN

XKawN Thread Starter

o.k., i tried that, but it didn't work. thanks though.......

6. CRemedies

CRemedies

Hmm...Have you checked the pc for spyware? This often stops a pc from shutting down as well. Without more details this is the obvious next step. Try http://www.trendmicro.com and run the free online virus/trojan scanner. Otherwise, contact me at the link below and I will personally help you via remote support online if you'd like.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice