1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start-up probs ELVANDIL 23 Mar 2009 julia071

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mart42, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mart42

mart42 Thread Starter

Hi,

This message is directed to Elvandil, please, unless anyone else thinks they can help. Back around 23 March 2009, there was a thread from julia071 under operating systems/Vista now called Solved: windows vista. I track along this thread line for line until it gets to Elvandil recommending "graphical system restore" when Julia first says, "What's that ?" and before there's an answer goes into throws of ecstacy because her computer now works. I've googled "graphical system restore" but not found anything........could someone please tell me where it is and where there is info on how to do it ? I've tried all the tests that I can....F8 etc, but no luck. I don't know what caused the laptop to "die"...it will boot up to screensavers but no more. System restore doesn't work. Memory diagnostics are fine, as is (I think) Start Up. So I can get to the command line but do not know much DOS.
    Thanks for your help,
    Mart42

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. mart42

mart42 Thread Starter

OK. I tried to save you from this because that thread summarised my experiences. It started after I left my laptop unattended for a couple of hours, logged on. The laptop is up in the attic: I'm 95% sure no-one had access to it. When I came back to it, PC Doc v5 had activated (by itself ?) and waws quoting 4000 errors to be fixed. I pressed "Fix". From then on, on booting up the laptop, it comes up with the "ASUS" logo (boots up OK ?), then on to the Microsoft Corp rotating bars (fine), but then goes onto a black screen. After more than 15 minutes, the screensaver logos appear, but nothing else. I forgot to say, before the "ASUS" appears, I'm requested a password; I give it; and all proceeds as above. I've tried F2 to get rid of this password, but it says "View Only". I've concentrated on F8, Repair Computer. It finds no fault with Start Up, or Memory. I can't get System Restore: it says no points were created and this could be true (I remember seeing this before). It says I'm in limited diagnostics so can't go anywhere. I don't know what that means. I can get the DOS command, and have used it to activate the Administrator, but when I try to log on as Administrator it won't work. I believe the User I'm logging on with anyway has administrator priviledges: it always has had before. I've run CHKDSK /F and that identified no problems. I tried using my XP disk to install XPPro; that didn't work but file types changed to NTFS when they were FAT32 before. CHKDSK /c showed no problems. I'm running out of ideas now...don't know enough DOS....I can't locate a Vista disc to do a repair install - is that all that's left ? should it work ? - on ebay there are lots of Vista "Upgrades": are they the right tool for the job ? Thanks for reading all this.. I'd be glad of some help.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

5. mart42

mart42 Thread Starter

Thanks, Mumbodog. Following the last link you gave me, takes me to exactly the screen that I get to using F8. Exactly: Start-Up, Systems Restore, Windows Memory Diagnostics, etc. I'd tried all these (except for the Complete Restore....don't want to lose everything).

But I thought I'd try your route, burned the CD (on Windows XPpro), turned the ASUS laptop off, put in the burned disk, pulled out the lead and the battery, replaced them, pressed start, entered password when called upon to do so (things were whirring nicely), screen came up timing me to Start Normally ( or go into Safe Modes).....started normally......black screen...left for a while...screensaver logos appear.

I looked at the thread on the site you referred to, and it ends with someone basically saying what I'm saying, and asking the ether for any ideas.....but its the last posting.

I feel that if the computer will reboot to the extent of screensavers, maybe we're not that far from recovering. I do have the final move up my sleeve: recovery that wipes the hard drive. Am I right that before that is using a Windows Vista Installation disk, in repair mode ? If I am, I'll go to Ebay, but is a "Windows Vista Upgrade" good enough ? (I don't see simple Installation disks).

Thanks again,
    Mart42

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

You have to boot from the DVD and select "System Restore"

[​IMG]

7. mart42

mart42 Thread Starter

Yes, and when I do, it fails to find any restore points. I think I've said earlier that that was no surprise....I'd seen it before when the laptop was working. It was this that made me interested in" Start-up probs ELVANDIL 23 Mar 2009 julia071 " because Elvandil recommended using the "graphical" method to Julia.......in "limited diagnostics mode".......and first she questioned it and then in an immediately following post went into raptures saying her computer was fixed. As my probs parallel hers so closely, I posted to the forum, and we're now at this same point. What is "limited diagnostics mode" (it seems to be stopping me creating any points), and what is the "graphical" method ?
    Cheers,
    Mart42

8. mart42

mart42 Thread Starter

Hi,

I've been kindly advised that I should give more information, essentially that just because it worked for Julia doen't mean it's going to work for me. So here we go:
    ASUS Notebook PC, Model X53S, MB Ver F3SR, running Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed (no disc), did try loading Windows XPPro (have disc) as part of sorting it out, have recovery disc but do not want to wipe hard drive, boots up to screen savers but nothing else, have taken hard drive out into enclosure and connected to DELL PC XPPro, subjected it to Norton, SpyBot and Windows Defender (found ~10 cookies, nothing dramatic, reinstalled HDD and back to how it was). Have been using F8 as described above, cannot locate restore points (in "limited diagnostic state" ?), start-up runs fine, memory diagnostic runs fine, getting to command runs fine but I don't know what to do then (I activated the hidden administrator; ran CHKDSK /c......not /f (this does not work now although it did before....did trying to install XPPro do this ?)....everything looks good. Am running Notebook in isolation, at the start of the problem it was connected to a BT HomeHub by ethernet cable, as is the DELL. I tried burning the Windows Vista Recovery disk as recommended above, but it would not boot up in the Notebook, and I think would have led to the same Recovery Menu as I can get from F8. I've tried to remove the boot_password using F2 but all I get is "Visual Only" or something like that.....yet I managed to install the password via the same utility. (I'm wondering is the password affecting our attempts to solve the problem).
    I think that's enough for now. It's as if everythhing is alright, it's just that I cannot get output on the screen...except for screensavers.
    Thanks for your help,
    Mart42

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice