1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start Up Programs Not Starting!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MachoNacho852, Apr 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MachoNacho852

MachoNacho852 Thread Starter

well this has happened before and I have just restarted and it worked fine again. The problem is that when I start windows xp the icons/programs that normaly would start when you log in our just start windows are not starting at all. My Norton and Spysweeper are the only two things that show up even. I dont have the Icon for my volume. My keyboard and mouse programs do not start up and I cant use the add-ons for them. Does anyone know about why this would happen or how to fix it?

If this does not make sense to you I will try to make it better and take some screen shots or something. Thanks for all the help in advance!! (y)

2. bonk

bonk Banned

When you startup the PC loads and boots but only loads up the basics.....like it would maybe in Safemode

3. foo

foo

In which startup directory did you put the applications, All users or a specific user?

4. MachoNacho852

Its set for all users to start up. I have not changed that lately. I checked my ms config to make sure some how they where just not checked on to start when windows started but they are still on. Im not sure what else I could do. Here is a screen shot of what im talking about. (also I do know have it so the inactive icons are hidden)

[​IMG]
    The other icon next to the norton is my wireless connection which I use for when I go to a friends with my computer so thats normaly there but not connected because I have cable here.

5. NateRD23

NateRD23

Did you try going to Start>Programs>Startup and seeing what was there?

6. MachoNacho852

No I didnt and Now I just looked and there is only 4 things in it... How do I add more to that?

7. foo

foo

Start -> Programs -> Startup -> Right click -> Explore all users, create links (shortcuts)

8. MachoNacho852

Now anything that I put in there (the shortcut) will start when windows starts right? Also another question is how would this happen all of a sudden?

Yeah umm Im not sure where to find the things like my keyboard and mouse exe files are and also how do I know what I put in there so it starts up right? I dont want to mess it up more then it is

9. MachoNacho852

I found out what the problem was.... My spysweeper program was blocking all my apps from starting up when windows started... I un-installed it cause I never really use it since I got it and if I need it I can install it again but I doubt I will and restarted and everything is back to normal. Thanks for the help everyone!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!