1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Start Up Repair - every 2nd boot - Acer/Vista home 32 bit

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by 3dogs4me, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 3dogs4me

3dogs4me Thread Starter

My computer will not boot about every second time I start it up. It goes to Start Up Repair - after that runs through, it starts just fine.

Question: Is there anyway I can discover what is causing this to happen?

I have run a utility and conferred with "What's in the Start Up", Googling each entry - removing the obvious & it has a very lean list now. This didn't change anything.

My specs:
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 32 bit .. Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, x64 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3 .. Processor Count: 2 .. RAM: 2814 Mb .. Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics , 256 Mb .. Hard Drives: C: Total - 145094 MB, Free - 91838 MB; D: Total - 145141 MB, Free - 85974 MB; .. Motherboard: Acer, RS780HVF, .. Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Any help would be appreciated

2. 3dogs4me

3dogs4me Thread Starter

further - I don't know if this has any relevance, but under my Device Manager I have a yellow caution under Network Adapters ... I mention it because with my limited knowledge, this is the only iffy thing I could find:

Microsoft 6to4 adapter #153, #197, #202, #205, #234, #254, #276, #277, #42 and #8
    under general properties, all of them read: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device
    under driver file details, all of them read C;\windows\system32\DRIVERS\tunnel.sys

May this mean anything to my start up problem? I can get on the network just fine

Marvell Yuklon 88E8071 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller - is listed just above that list, without any warning icon

3. 3dogs4me

3dogs4me Thread Starter

:/
    any ideas out there?

4. 3dogs4me

3dogs4me Thread Starter

anything :,-(

5. coolguy110395

coolguy110395

6. 3dogs4me

3dogs4me Thread Starter

Thanks for responding coolguy110395.
    I have already done that ... my startup is a lean as can be.
    I looked at this site for ages before joining and found some posts that taught me, and then I went through each entry side by side with a website that described each one - now I only have what is absolutely required in there.
    I have also mastered hijackthis.

I guess at this point my big question is ... just how do I find out what is causing this to happen.
    Is there a log or something?

All it shows me is that it couldn't start and to run repair, and then restore ... but I don't know what is causing my machine to do this.

I have tried ignoring the repair and it still doesn't start.

I know that I haven't made any changes, downloaded, installed apps, etc. in between these errors ... just some minor surfing, facebook, email.

Is there any info from my machine that can help identify what is going on?

thanks

7. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Are these start up repairs usually pretty fast?
    Couple minutes or less?

8. 3dogs4me

3dogs4me Thread Starter

yes they are quite quick ... just a coupe of minutes
    no restarts, just the same routine over & over - can's start, must repair (recommended) and then 'restore" and all is well, under the time it takes me to grab a coffee.

9. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

I am looking to see how to get it to do the thorough check....{takes several minutes}..they are usually sucsessful
    I have yet to see the {short ones} do anything
    Possible corrupted file somewhere..have you tried check disk or scannow?

10. vicks

vicks

You might try:
    Start>computer>right click on C drive>properties. select tools tab then error checkiing. This will bring up a little box with 2 items to check. check those. Then click okay., You will receive message that it is unable to start and ask if you want it to run the next time you start the computer.choose yes. Reboot the computer. This can take a long time to run (have seen it take up to a couple of hours), so you will have to be patient. this will repair any bad sector.
    Let us know if this is of help.
    Vicks

11. 3dogs4me

3dogs4me Thread Starter

aka Brett: I haven't tried chkdsk or scannow ...that would be from "run". correct?

vicks: that scares me. what if it doesn't ask me and I can never get in again? Is there anything to be worried about, I mean is my worried for not?

12. 3dogs4me

3dogs4me Thread Starter

vicks: I just poked in there and this is what I am currently set to: image attached

I misunderstood when I first replied. I think what you are telling me is to also have a check mark beside "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad errors". correct?

should I "defragment" as well?

thanks

Attached Files:

13. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

You can run chkdsk with vicks method.

Its safe...some do it as routine maintenance....once or twice a year

14. 3dogs4me

3dogs4me Thread Starter

Okay - I have completed that. I sat with it as it went through (it didn't take very long, about an hour) and displayed no errors

(I looked at the defrag options and it is set to manually perform every month, and on all newly attache drives)

the mystery continues

I tried searching my machine for logs to see if any activities could be captured, but no luck

I guess I should count myself lucky that this happens every 2nd time, but at least after the 'restore' (restore what?) I can get in

Thanks for your continued attention to this :)

15. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Lets try this
    Start
    Type in cmd.
    Mouse to top and select cmd
    Right click run as administrator

type in {or paste}
    sfc /scannow
    press enter

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!