1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

start up tab in 'msconfig' win xp.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by XP-1800, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

A friends pc was littered with spyware and other crud.
    However the start up list in msconfig shows loads of items listed that belong to stuff long deleted/uninstalled..........msblast, for example.
    Is there a way to clean up and remove items from this list, if so, how do I set about it ?
    Many thanks.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If you haven't done so already, run Spybot S&D, Lavasoft Ad-Aware and CWShredder. When you have finish with those, reboot and run HighJackThis. Post the log here (By scanning first, save the log, (do not fix anything yet) then when you save it, it will appear in Wordpad. Copy and paste it here.

3. XP-1800

XP-1800 Thread Starter

Many thanks Tidus4Yuna.
    Sorry, my question was not very clear.........:)
    He had been littered with spyware/dialers/you name it, he had it........:)
    The usual remedies have been applied, which are as you have suggested above.
    I have cleaned up his machine (his son did a lot of surfing which involved er, artistic sites....;)) but just wondered how to remove all the old items still listed (un-ticked) in the start up window.
    Only the basic ones needed are running now.........XP stuff, and the AV, firewall, spyware blaster, spyware guard and a few others that I put on in an effort of some protection...:)
    Thanks for your help.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Registry Cleaner can remove the entries. (listed in the signature)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220407

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice