1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

start up window login choice

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by viperkicksass09, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. viperkicksass09

viperkicksass09 Thread Starter

hello
    i have a dell computer with 2 hard drives and i installed windows xp media center edition on the second hard drive. now it gave me a choice of which one to go to. which was all fine. now being like 2 month later i didnt want that any more. so i formatted the second hardd rive so now i didnt want that choice at start up, but its still there and when i go and pick the one i formatted it says thats its not valid. which is right but what do i do to remove that message? thanks shaun [email protected] (y)

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Click Start, Run, and type msconfig. Select the Boot.ini tab, then click "Check All Boot Paths". Msconfig will prompt you to remove invalid entries.

3. viperkicksass09

for a prevous answer u told me to go and change stuff in run/msconfig and stuff in the and it worked but when i change thing not to start up on login it says "an access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. you may need to log on useing an administrator account to make the specified changes." and my account is the only one on here and my is a administors account.

4. viperkicksass09

hello
    i have a dell computer with 2 hard drives and i installed windows xp media center edition on the second hard drive. now it gave me a choice of which one to go to. which was all fine. now being like 2 month later i didnt want that any more. so i formatted the second hardd rive so now i didnt want that choice at start up, but its still there and when i go and pick the one i formatted it says thats its not valid. which is right but what do i do to remove that message? thanks shaun [email protected]

that was my first question and it worked

Click Start, Run, and type msconfig. Select the Boot.ini tab, then click "Check All Boot Paths". Msconfig will prompt you to remove invalid entries.

for a prevous answer u told me to go and change stuff in run/msconfig and stuff in the and it worked but when i change thing not to start up on login it says "an access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. you may need to log on useing an administrator account to make the specified changes." and my account is the only one on here and my is a administors account.

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Just to save you a lot of grief according to the forum rules TSG suggests not to include any personnel email addresses in the posts it is actually a cause of spam. Please edit out the email address in your first post.

What is the other operating system on the first drive?

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi viperkicksass09

I have merged your posts to one thread.
    Please do not create duplicate threads.

Continue replies for this issue here.

Thank you

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Since you formatted the second drive what you have to do is edit the bot.ini file and take out the offending lines.

Right click on My Computer, Properties, Advanced. and click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery. You'll see the following screens. If you select the proper system in the Default operating system window and uncheck the Time to display list of operating systems box, it'll automatically boot without showing you the menu.

8. viperkicksass09

what do u mean off ending lines?

9. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi viperkicksass09

Locate the boot.ini file and copy paste the contents here please.
    That will show us the unneccesary (offending) information.

10. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Please copy and paste the boot.ini file to a post and I will take a look at it. What I mean is there are extra lines of code making the computer think there is another hard drive when there is not and you have to remove the extra lines, If you follow what I sent you it should help the situation but just post the boot.ini file for now

11. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

:p :p

Great minds...

12. viperkicksass09

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

13. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Even though it is syntaxed right I think the partition(2) might be in error since you said you formatted partition (2) the second drive. The backup is in the post here and I would suggest making another backup of boot.ini and change both number 2 to number 1 and save the file and reboot. If this causes you not to boot then you should be able to go in thru safe mode at the prompt and change it back.

14. viperkicksass09

ok i will try that thanks

15. viperkicksass09

how do i boot through safe?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/547012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice