Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Start up with one-click

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  dvk01 
#1 ·
Computer: Dell Inspiron 660s desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium OS

For security reasons, I generally work in the standard profile rather than the admin profile. When I startup, I push the start button on my system box. After about a minute, a login screen appears on which I must choose either the admin profile or the standard profile. Once I choose the standard profile, Windows continues to startup. I would prefer that my system startup completely in the standard profile once I push the start button, rather than asking me each time I start which profile I wish. If I need the admin profile, rarely, I can switch profiles once my system has fully booted. Is there a way I can tell my computer always to start in the standard profile once I push the start button?

#3 ·
DaveBurnett: Possibly, one of the google links would do the job, but I find them rather complicated, many with abbreviations that I do not recognize. They seem elaborate, able to do much more than I wish. All I require is a startup that will take the system directly into the standard profile that I use, without my having to make a choice between the admin and the standard profile. In other words, I should like the standard profile to be the default profile, to use computer jargon. Thanks for your reply.

#5 ·
DaveBurnett (trusted advisor) Well then, just follow my instructions, which I sent you but do not see. For any user, the program "netplwiz" will allow you to make the automatic startup I requested from TSG. You will find it much easier than reading through Burnett's Google list, as he kindly advised me.

TSG has changed much (for the worse, regrettably) since my long history of occasional visits. This is the first time I have been directed to Google instead of receiving a TSG-answer.

#6 ·
And where do you think the advice you expect to get comes from.
I and the rest of the advisers do not know the answer to every single question we get asked. Most of them come from Google where WE use the information you may have supplied to look things up.
All I am suggesting is that YOU can bypass that step and look for yourself when the question is a simple one.

#7 ·
Now that I understand the current disposition of TSG, a departure from my past experience, I shall avoid it. Google is for me a last resort for technical questions, because - by its digital search nature - it has to respond with diversity that requires the searcher to try to find the most likely answer. What is discouraging is the paucity of the descriptions. It is most often necessary to go to each link and wade through jargon and abbreviations most helpful to those who do not need the help in order to determine the relevance. That, to me, was the raison d'être for TSG: the assistance of someone who would deal with one's specific question, as only the human brain can - at this time - do. Of course, that was when the orientation towards helpfulness and courtesy was great enough to merit a donation from me, which I made from time to time.

#8 ·
I don't know that you can change the login screen. If you could eliminate the other accounts, how would you access them again? There has to be a prompt at some point to tell Windows what to do. In any case, it should default to the last used account. Simply enter your password and continue.

#9 ·
See my reply to DaveBurnett of yesterday at 11:01 AM, #5 in the thread, and it will tell you how to accomplish the change in the cold-boot to bring you directly to the standard profile, provided you have not established a password for that profile.

This is my last view of this thread and emails related to it.

#10 ·
My applogies. I didn't read all of the responses and you apparently misread the reply from Dave.

Dave's reply wasn't a random Google search, each of those links has step by step instructions to do what you are wanting to do.

I don't see why you are upset with being given a link to your solution as opposed to having someone type it out for you. In any case, glad you found a solution.

#12 ·
Goedel,

I'm sorry you did not have a good experience in this thread. However, please don't judge TSG based on this one alone. I can assure you that we do NOT condone ANY member, regardless of their status, referring users to Google to look for answers to their problems themselves. We are very aware that is not what they come here for. Even if search criteria is included, the resulting list of sites is lengthy and could contain ones that are not legitimate or even dangerous for users to visit. It is appropriate to post a link to another site that contains a solution to the issue or the helper can summarize the steps themselves (not word for word of course unless a link is included to give credit to the source).

Unfortunately, this thread got overlooked at the time but I hope that you will continue to visit for any help you may need in the future and if you find a response to be inappropriate, please use the Report button to alert the Moderators so that we can assess the situation and intervene if necessary. :)

#15 · (Edited)
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.