1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Started out good then went bad

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sunnyeagle, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sunnyeagle

sunnyeagle Thread Starter

Okay this is going to be long, but bear with me.
    My buddies computer died and I offered to fix it. I pretty sure the power supply took out the mother board. I looked for a replacement but few to found that was over priced. I suggested to go for more newer versions. We went with;

DFI ultra d mother board, Geforce 7900, OCZ 700w powersupply (his choice).
    We are reusing AMD 3500 cpu, Kingston Hyperx (KHX4000K2/1G) memory and he bought eXtreme sound card. If I new he was going to buy a sound card, I would have him buy better memory. He had a Samsung 250g that was with his son-in-law getting his data back up (don't ask why I didn't do it), so I sold him my spare Western Digital 120g just to get started.

I got everything to work and had windows xp installed, all the drivers, antivirus and few choice programs I set people with to keep well clean and somewhat trouble free. When I had him bring it over I ask for everything, but all I got was monitor and case.

So here is the bad. He took it home and install his printer software. No problem yet. Then he install his keyboard and mouse. Problems...
    His icons on his desktop started flashing and he tried to uninstall. Still no good. Try to go back on system restore, nothing change.
    When he tried to reboot. Now XP will not start up right. It goes right to the black screen and ask him how he want to start it. No matter what he did or I did could change it.

I suggested to bring everything over this time and I would start over with a clean install. When I tried to reinstall I got pass the format and a screen came up saying that it didn't recognize hardware and ask if you wanted to install "standard pc or other".
    That my first question, what is this?
    Never saw this on the first install and I have never saw this ever, on any install.

When I do the standard install, nothing changes. Still black screen with options on starting windows. Icons still flickers. And Windows does not shut off computer, I have to do it manually.
    I running Memtest on both sticks of memory right now, to see if they are okay.

Any help would be great. Been searching for answers...... Help

Edit..... I can not believe it. All the stuff I learn about HAL and all that work down the drain because he wouldn't give me the keyboard. The F5 button was stuck down...!!!!!!

I just thought I would unplug them and restart the computer. Work like a charm. Plug in my keyboard and mouse... everything work fine. Started to check out his keyboard for a model number, that was when I saw his F5 button stuck down. They are not standard buttons. Logitech special.... Can you say SPECIAL...

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy sunnyeagle...

Interesting problem...

The only thing that pops into my head at the moment is either ACPI is disabled in the BIOS, or XP isn't recognizing that it is an ACPI compliant board...

Try resetting the BIOS to the defaults, or clearing the CMOS...

There are probably other ideas out there, but that is the only thing that pops into my head at the moment...

3. sunnyeagle

I check the bios and it is enable.

4. sunnyeagle

Has anyone here had to press F5 when installing Windows XP pro?

And choose which Hal option to use.

5. sunnyeagle

I learn so much in the last couple days.... My head hurts.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540335

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice