1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Starting a DOS program as a Service

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by derrekday, Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. derrekday

derrekday Thread Starter

I am trying to find out if you can start a DOS program as a service on NT Server.
    Is it possible? And if so what does it take. I've searched the Technet but have gotten no answers.
    Thanks ahead of time,
    Derrek

2. p5mmx10g

p5mmx10g

nt 4 or 2000?

nt 4, there is a program that comes with the resourse kit, called srvnt. sorry, can't remember the exact name, but if you serach the microsoft database, they should tell you, it is a file that you can register any program as a service in nt

3. derrekday

derrekday Thread Starter

I've got that program, but NT itself won't run a DOS box as a service, it won't start-up.
    thanks for the idea though!
    Derrek

4. p5mmx10g

p5mmx10g

you may try to run it as a script, or try to use the autoexec.nt

sorry can't give your very detail on it, i only can point you to the right direction.

5. Rockn

Rockn

I do believe you have to set it to run as a system account and check the box to allow it to interact with the desktop. If that doesn't work, try it as a timed task with the AT scheduler. What does this program do exactly??

6. derrekday

derrekday Thread Starter

The program I'm trying to run is a time server.
    I can get to automatically start when logged into the server, I want it to be able to run when no one is logged in so that it is not dependant on a user.
    I've tried to make it as a system account interacting with the desktop, but still no workie.
    Derrek

7. p5mmx10g

p5mmx10g

well, if that programe you already set it to run automaticall on nt server, no matter if you log in or not, you will still run
    when you turn on your computer, everything will loaded up accroding to the service list.

8. derrekday

derrekday Thread Starter

The problem is that I have added it as a service, but it will not start as a service, the computer hangs for about 3 minutes then says it was unable to start the service. So technically it is not a functioning service so won't begin upon startup.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!