1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Starting a project...

Discussion in 'Photo Album' started by Fyreman, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Fyreman

Fyreman Thread Starter

Hello,

First I want to say the work I've seen here (read through all 110+ pages) is absolutely fantastic! The knowledge / skill level is inspiring, envious is too weak of a word for what I've seen.

Now to my project. I'm going to attempt to restore / retouch a postcard photo of my dad's parents holding my dad's brother- circa 1910?.

I'm looking for suggestions, direction, and opinions...etc, before I get started. I'm kind of a perfectionist (blame my father) so I want to do this myself BUT don't want to put huge amounts of time up front only to find out it would have been better if I would have done this or that first. Here is what I've learned:

* Scan at least 300dpi (would 400, 500, 600 be better??)
    * Scan in original color (can be changed later??)
    * Save as TIFF vs JPEG (repeated "saves" in JPEG= picture degrading)
    * I'm using ArcSoft PhotoStudio 5.5 and have Paint.Net available (sorry, don't have the money for Photoshop CS or Paint Shop Pro 7)
    * When posting a picture here, use "ImageShack" because of file size (does it accept TIFF format??)
    * When "sharpening" picture, do as the VERY LAST step before finalization (use "unmask" tool??)

Now a question- the original is approximately a 3x5, I would like the final project / picture to be a 5x7 or even larger, what do I do up front- if possible- to achieve this?

All comments, suggestions, opinions are welcomed. Thanks so very much for your time.

ps; this project probably won't be started for a few days (vacation) so if I don't get back to you right away, I hope you'll understand

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice