1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

starting a spreadsheet at machine boot

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by agwat, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. agwat

agwat Thread Starter

I would like to know how to start a spreadsheet from boot-up. The spreadsheet I would like to start has macros, when I place it in the startup menu I get an error "An error occured initializing the VBA libraries (14)", thus the spreadsheet doesn't operate properly. Also, I get the message that "cannot use object linking and embedding".

I would really like to auto-start the particular spreadsheet, if anyone has a solution I would really appreciate it.

Agwat

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    YOu should be able to put it in the startup, but I also suggest:

In Excel, go to Tools-Macros-Security and make sure that you've got it set to Low, and try again.

3. agwat

agwat Thread Starter

thanks...I have made the macro security low...but the error persists...agwat. It's like the machine isn't ready to run the app when it tries to open it.

agwat

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  5. agwat

agwat Thread Starter

sure...been off, sorry I haven't gotten back sooner...agwat

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    No problem.

You're aware that a line in the code that automatically runs is attempting to find a file, right?

This line:

RetVal = Shell("C:\WINWEDGE\WINWEDGE.EXE C:\WINWEDGE\excel.SW3", 4)

Of course, I get the error that it cannot find it.

What I'm thinking is this:

Instead of putting THIS file in the startup, why don't you just put Excel in the startup, right? And then in Excel's personal.xls file, you could place a timer that, say....10 seconds after startup, it launches the Excel file, which launches the autorun...etc.??

7. agwat

agwat Thread Starter

good Idea...yes I am aware that it is launching another app...it is opening an exe that is parsing ascii serial data and then writing it to the spreadsheet.

what is personal.exe?

agwat

8. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    It's not personal.exe it's personal.xls and check your Excel help file.

:D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice