1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Starting all over

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by skamlb, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skamlb

skamlb Thread Starter

Hi I have a computer that I want to clean completely out...wipe out everything and start over...how do I do that..and also..after I have cleaned it out...do I just put my ME disc in or how do I go about getting it ready to go....and...I also have a computer that I have not used for awhile...when I start it up ....it says something about no BIOS installed...how do I handle that...Thanks so much for being a big time money saver

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

For the ME one, just reboot it with your ME CD in the drive, and follow the menu that should come up. If it boots normally you will need to go into BIOS to change the boot order, so the CD is above the HDD in the priority.

You would need to back up all data you want to keep, as a re-installation will remove all data.

For the old PC, you need to tell exactly what the error message is. Its possible you need to renew the BIOS backup battery.

3. skamlb

skamlb Thread Starter

it says bios need to be installed...and ty so very much

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The motherboaed BIOS is the start-up software contained in a chip.
    It can be updated but shouldn't be missing.

Ironically, if it wasn't there, the PC would be unable to display anything or even tell you it wasn't there.

Hence my question, as there are other BIOS's (video card etc) so was wondering which BIOS. So the message doesn't say any more. Hmmm.

Again, if thats the case, try replacing the BIOS backup battery first. It should be on the Motherboard, but as you haven't mentioned what sort of PC this is, can't be more specific.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice