starting and shutting down the system

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Debbie Cichosz

Cold Boot:
At the desk top an error message comes up saying;
Cannot find CTL3D.DLL Windows needs this file to run C:\OPLIMIT\OCRAWARE.EXE
after pressing the OK button;
access to the specified device path or file denied
after pressing the OK button;
Could not load or run "ocraware.exe" specified in WIN.INI file. Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference in the WIN.INI file. I don't know where that is located and how to do it?

Then when shutting the computer down using the shut down command;
a fatal exception 06 has occurred 0000:00000017 the current application will be terminated appears. I can't shut down unless I physically turn the computer of with the on/off switch.

ocraware is the optical character recognition software that is installed with some scanners. It is not required for routine scanner usage.

You can remove and reinstall the scanner software to correct the problem.

Or you can run msconfig (from start>run), click on the "startup" tab and remove the check for ocraware.

Or you can go to start and run: win.ini (it will open in Notepad). Look for and remove the reference to ocraware after the load= line (it should be just left as: load=)

See if this helps the shutdown problem as well. If not we will have to address that separately.

Let me amend my reply above.

Since CTL3D.DLL is in fact a Windows System file, you should be able to replace it.

If you have Win98, go to start and run the System File Checker.

1. Go to Start>Run and enter SFC and click OK
2. Check "Extract one File"
3. Enter the file name and click on "Start"
4. In the "Restore from" field enter:: D:\WIN98 [if 'D' is not the letter of your CD-Rom drive, modify appropriately]
5. Click OK

{if you do not have a Windows system CD, try subsitituting c:\windows\options\cabs in the"restore from field"}

Enter the file name you want to replace and enter c:\windows\system in the "restore to" field when prompted.

If you have WinME, go to start and run: msconfig

>> click the "extract file" tab and follow these directions:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q265/3/71.ASP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online