1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Starting out...

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Gibble, Jan 16, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. Gibble

Gibble Thread Starter

I'm sick of where I work, the politics, the ignorant bosses, the clueless users, etc...granted they still exist, but at least the bosses would be out of the picture :p

I enjoy programming, mostly internet programming, making websites that are useful and add value too a business, not just electronic broshures.

I want to break out of this 8-4 grind, start my own business, work at my own pace, work my way. I'm more productive working at home, and I do better work because I care about what I'm doing and don't have people forcing me to do something the wrong way because that is how it was done 10 years ago.

The problem is, I don't know how to start. I've been contemplating spending time redoing websites, then approaching companies, showing off what I've allready done, and basically using an X number of dollars and it's yours approach, and I'll charge this per month for maintenance, hosting, etc If they say no, move on to company two.

The problem is, how do I start? Would that work? How do I approach them without appearing like just another schmuck out for a quick buck. I realize I can't quit my current job at the start, but hopefully in time.

What would you do? How would you go about this sort of transition?

2. deh

deh

Well I know you aren't American so some of this may not apply but some will. The Small Business Admin has a great site, with lots of info (not just gov. specific regulations). They have a "Startup kit"

http://www.sba.gov/starting/indexstartup.html

Entrepreneur has a decent site, although they give you more Sales pitches for books and subscriptions versus SBA. You can still find good info though (may want to check out thier message boards as well).

http://www.entrepreneur.com/howto/startyourbiz/1,5969,,00.html

I know one suggestion regarding not quitting your job was either get a partner, change your hours to accomodate the hours you need to work for your new venture, work around your current job until your business starts rolling, take a part time job to ensure you have money coming in at the beginning.

Check out the Do you have what it takes for a Businees quiz at the SBA as well.

Good Luck!

3. Gibble

Gibble Thread Starter

It's not the starting of the business and getting a license etc that I am having problems with, I can have that done in no time.

Its how to get clients that's giving me trouble.

4. RandyG

RandyG

Get business cards and shmooz!!!

Seriously!

Have them handy, and if you overhear someone talking about a problem they are having, politely excuse yourself, apologise for overhearing, say you don't want to interrupt, but you just have to give them your business card, and you are available the next day to take their call. If they seem willing to discuss more with you then and there, go for it, otherwise, apologise again, and leave them alone.

Another thing to do is cold-calling. This means you get the number of people you think might need services like yours, and call them up to scope it out and sell them yourself. Having demo sites that you can show is useful, but you have to get your foot in the door, and nothing is going to get you there faster than a friend in the company. If you don't have one of those, then you will need to show that you have chutzpa (huevos, cojones, balls), energy, drive, and a desire to prove yourself.

Good luck my friend!

5. GreenIs

GreenIs

Gibble, use your newspaper. Advertise yourself. Leave cards at every place you visit. The key is to advertise. Let people know you are looking for clientèle.

I advertise through business cards and have a buddy who does clowning(lol don't laugh it works), take them with him and as he hands out his cards, mine are stapled to the back.

Give people an idea of what you can do, make sure you can offer up examples and have a set price available.

I hope this gave you something to go on.- something you where looking for.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113568

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice