1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

starting over

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by markeysl, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markeysl

markeysl Thread Starter

I recently saw a program that indicated that when you format you hard drive that you don't really start with a clean hard drive, because files are really never gone until they are overwritten. I am wondering if there is any way to clear you hard drive and start over. I am wondering this because My computer seems to run slower and slower no matter what I do to it. I have shut down programs that may be running in the back ground, and boosted the Ram and changed out the processor for something even faster, but alas i really don't see any improvments. Could filling up the hard drive after so many years be the issue? Not that my computer is old (3 years), but over the years I just notice that access to the hard drive seems much slower.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

How full is the hard drive? What programs do you have running every time the computer starts?

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok...go to software, startups, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and hit the reply to thread button and right click on your mouse and select paste.

3. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

You can use Norton WipeInfo to wipe entry area of your hard disk. It will replace all the characters of unused area with zero and so the information will be pretty much permanently wiped.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    How full is the hard drive and how much free space is left?

When was the last time that you defragged the hard drive?

When was the last time that you deleted the buildup of temporary files?

How many items are checked in the MSCONFIG startup tab?

A combination of a full and fragmented hard drive, a large buildup of temporary files, and a bloated startup load will drag down the performance of your computer considerably.:(

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

5. markeysl

markeysl Thread Starter

I have a 40 Gig hard drive and a 800 MHz processor. It is usually runing at of 85% when ever I check to see if it is really low. I hav also used the system monitor to get more of a real time on what the processor load is. in the list below I do not usually have some of these programs running as I shut them down through MSCONFIG. The microsoft office, and the Wingman profiler and controller for it are not usually running, but everything else is usually running, Because I do so much stuff on my computer I usually run the degrag a couple of times a week at night and clear out my temp files weekly as well as my internet files regularly, maybe once a week as this does help it from running slower. as for how full the drive it well it only has about 8 gigs taken up. Other than that nothing that I do seems to help.

EPSON Status Monitor 3 Environment Check 2 Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_SRCV02.EXE
    Microsoft Office Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE" -b -l
    ZoneAlarm Common Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe" -nopopup
    Start WingMan Profiler Registry (Per-User Run) "c:\Program Files\Logitech\WingMan Software\lwtest.exe" /detect /quiet /launch "c:\Program Files\Logitech\WingMan Software\lwemon.exe /noui"
    Reminder Registry (Per-User Run) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\reminder.exe
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    WheelMouse Registry (Machine Run) C:\WHEELM~1\wh_exec.exe
    IgfxTray Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\igfxtray.exe
    HotKeysCmds Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hkcmd.exe
    TkBellExe Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    StillImageMonitor Registry (Machine Run C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    CXMon Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PhotoSmart\Photo Imaging\Hpi_Monitor.exe"
    ICSMGR Registry (Machine Run) ICSMGR.EXE
    Norton eMail Protect Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\POPROXY.EXE
    Ink Monitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\EPSON\Ink Monitor\InkMonitor.exe
    Creative Launcher Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Creative\Launcher\CTLauncher.EXE
    AudioHQ Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Creative\SBPCI512\AudioHQ\AHQTB.EXE
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
    TrueVector Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
    MiniLog Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\MINILOG.EXE -service
    SAgent2ExePath Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
    Machine Debug Manager Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MDM.EXE

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice