Starting Over

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Barney Bloop

I'm thinking about starting over. I have an O/S (winxp pro) that is hopelessly messed up. Is it possible to install a new HD, install xp pro on it and then install the present c drive HD as d drive and save all the data on it to the new HD? I don't want to reformat the present drive and loose everything there.

Barney

Barney Bloop

Deathblow said:
Sure. If you don't mind me asking, why is the old drive hopeless?
Well, I have lost some "INF" files and I can't get my EPSON 6600 3-in-1 reinstalled. I worked with Epson tech for 3 hours the other day and he told me they were missing and I would have to re-install to get them back.

I would get a new HD and set it as a master. Your present HD as a slave. Install XP on your new HD and XP will automaticaly give new letter to your old HD and you will be able to access it from newly installed XP.

Barney Bloop

220volt said:
I would get a new HD and set it as a master. Your present HD as a slave. Install XP on your new HD and XP will automaticaly give new letter to your old HD and you will be able to access it from newly installed XP.
Thanks. I'm just wondering. I presently have a second HD that I use for storage of video files. What would I need to do to keep two slaves on a new HD?

Simple. Add the new HD, set as master with the jumpers on the rear, install XP, then add another HD on the same ribbon cable on IDE1. Add third HD on same ribbon cable as your CD/DVD-rom on second IDE channel. Set 2nd and 3rd HD's as slaves with the jumpers.

Scorp.

CS.Scorpion said:
Simple. Add the new HD, set as master with the jumpers on the rear, install XP, then add another HD on the same ribbon cable on IDE1. Add third HD on same ribbon cable as your CD/DVD-rom on second IDE channel. Set 2nd and 3rd HD's as slaves with the jumpers.

Scorp.
I actualy have exact same set up.
1. Controler - Main Hdd with another Slave
2. Controler - DVD/burner with HDD for storage

Barney Bloop

I just realised that I didn't give "the whole story" I also have a ZIP drive installed. That may complicate matters? I'm not sure where the zip is installed. It may already be as a slave off the DVD burner. If that is the case, where do I install the 3rd HD?
Byron

You cant have more than 4 IDE devices, sorry.

Only other possible way is to make one of the HD's external, but that would mean buying a USB enclosure for it.

Scorp.

CS.Scorpion said:
You cant have more than 4 IDE devices, sorry.

Only other possible way is to make one of the HD's external, but that would mean buying a USB enclosure for it.

Scorp.
Could he not get a PCI IDE card? Or maybe a raid card?

Sounds like alot of hastle for a few missing INF files. Think I might try to repair that first.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online