1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Starting up a bit slowly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by brillser, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brillser

brillser Thread Starter

Hi all,
    This is my very first post on this site.

I have an ACER machine, when it finaly starts up, it's working fine. It came with Norton AV pre-installed.
    I was worndering, does anybody know how I might stop Norton from loading into my task bar, and thus into memory, at start up? I've been to the configuration util. but I don't see a referance to Norton or symantech.
    Also I would very much like to prevent the ACER logo from showing (for at least 10sec) at startup, as if I did'nt know that I have an ACER machine...LOL.

Thanks for any advice,

kind regards

2. rka0

rka0 Banned

Hello brillser. Install this startup utility once on line click the consult button it will tell you what is safe to stop anything else with no info you can google it and see if it is ok to stop. It may also stop norton from starting.
    http://www.windowsstartup.com/

3. rka0

rka0 Banned

Hello brillser. As Golfer Bob has pointed out in your other post if you stop norton at startup then you will lose it's protection.

4. andib126

andib126

dosent't that work with the msconfig command??

5. rka0

rka0 Banned

Hello andib126. Yes you could use msconfig but windows startup inspector is less complicated to use for the beginner.

6. andib126

andib126

yup.. they both work, now it depends how much of a "beginner" is brillser :)
    i find so much easy to use msconfig.. because u don't need to install any program.... u just go to start>run>msconfig>services and look for norton and also start>run>msconfig>startup and in there is no more NAV tick over there wown't load at startup. i will load only when u want him to load an double click the shortcut for example :)

7. techychick

techychick

There may be an option in the BIOS that will disable the boot logo

8. rka0

rka0 Banned

Hello andib126. I'm the beginner.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Startup entries are listed in Windows XP and Windows Vista in 2 locations:

Start - Run - MSCONFIG - OK - "Startup" tab

Start - Run - SERVICES.MSC - OK

These 2 sites will assist you in editing both lists:

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?type=&filter=&count=100&offset=0

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're planning to uninstall Symantec Norton, it's not a job for a beginner because of the difficulty in getting all the remanants out of your computer.

A good replacement antivirus program is here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. brillser

brillser Thread Starter

Hi again all,
    I decided to take golferbob's advice on the matter of the "norton on the taskbar" matter, it just sounded logical and wise. But with the help you've all offered, I've managed to speed up "startup" with NO apparent problems, It was a bit of a tricky "one at a time and restart" type of a carryon, but I had created a restore point before I started, for peice of mind.
    Thanks for the bios advice, techychick, I'll try that tomorrow.

Thanks again all.

11. brillser

brillser Thread Starter

Hi there,
    A strange thing just happened, I went into the bios, to see if I could find some reference to "logo". Finding no such reference, I came out again, making NO changes. Upon rebooting and logging back on to the internet, I find My home site's backround turned BLACK when it used to be white. I checked all other sites, but all others are unchanged.
    Should I buy a new computer?

12. andib126

andib126

neah u shouldn't do that.. @ least not yet... ok let's say the black screen was an error... have u tried restarting u're computer??? beacause if u say u didn't modify anything... that shouldn't be a problem ;;)

13. prettyyassy

prettyyassy

hi can someone help me...how can i fix this error?? during i restart my desktop i used to get this error

Warning: The Boot Devices have been change. BBS Boot priority wil be affected. Please enter setup to check.

14. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I find My home site's backround turned BLACK when it used to be white. I checked all other sites, but all others are unchanged.

If your home page is www.google.com, the background has been changed to black instead of white - for now anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15. brillser

brillser Thread Starter

"If your home page is www.google.com, the background has been changed to black instead of white - for now anyway."

Ah' thanks for that flavallee, I was just going to ask someone to check out the site, which was indeed Google.
    Your all very kind thanks for your help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!