1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

starts to boot and powers down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gvaazza7, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gvaazza7

gvaazza7 Thread Starter

Hiya hope you can help me with this
    When I startup my pc it begins to whirr and the indicator lights on the cd-roms flash but then the system just stops and powers down. The monitor remains on standby

When i try to start it again the power button doesnt work in that it doesnt click so it doesnt start unless i turn the power supply button at the back of the system on and off or pull out and plug in the power cable

tanks for yer help

2. brianF

brianF

first thing I would do is open up the case. Make sure all the cables are attached correctly.

Reseat the processor and memory along with all add on cards.

Watch the fans when you boot up, make sure the power supply and cpu fans are working.

If all else fails, disconnect everything except processor, memory, vid card, and floppy, put a startup disk in the floppy and see if it will boot. If it does, start adding one thing at a time back and see what's causing the hang

3. kimmer13

kimmer13

gvaazza7, while you have the pc open, double check the video card is not loose - many of the pcs i've gotten lately for customers turn themselves off if the video card isn't all the way in. Don't just go by whether its screwed in either, because I've had some cards that weren't "square", so when the card was screwed down, it made the other end pop out at the least little bump to the pc.

4. gvaazza7

gvaazza7 Thread Starter

I was thinking (hoping) it was the power supply because it doesnt actually hang
    just starts for a few seconds and powers down
    the monitor stays on standby the whole time

thanks for your suggestions
    ill give it a go

5. gvaazza7

gvaazza7 Thread Starter

well i tried what you suggested
    disconnected everything and it still didnt work

i think its the power supply
    what would u suggest before i go out and buy a new power supply only to find it still doesnt work

thanks

6. gvaazza7

gvaazza7 Thread Starter

replaced the power supply and it still doesnt work
    dunno what i can do know
    fink its time to take it into the repair shop

7. brianF

brianF

did you reseat the processor and memory, check the cpu fan is running. remove all but one memory stick, try different stick.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice