1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Startup and Hard drive detection problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LSUTiger, Aug 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LSUTiger

LSUTiger Thread Starter

My brother was having startup problems on his Dell during startup. It would continually tell him he had hard drive failure.

So, I get the brilliant idea of putting his C drive into the D drive of my deal to run Scan disk on it. Well, now my computer won't start. When XP tries to load, it goes to a blue screen saying that it is shutting down to prevent damage.

I've gone through the bios and startup options and nothing is giving me any hint on what's going on. Half the time in bios, it does not detect my hard drive.

Help?

2. prospect

prospect

Can you explain it a little better. I'm not quite sure what you did.

3. Egnever

Egnever

did you set his drive as the slave drive when you put it in your machine?

4. LSUTiger

LSUTiger Thread Starter

yes... his was the slave... but for some reason.... it screwed with my bios

5. colmaca

colmaca

set you bios back to failsafe defualts,try to boot up then.
    if fails put you xp cd in and boot from it choose the r for repair option 1st one,type in fixmbr at the promt.enter
    try boot again
    and you can run scandisk from the repair option as well to list comands type in help

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/259244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice