Startup and Shutdown each taking around 30 minutes

Couriant

James
If I am correct, according to this info your Windows 7 installation was in September 2011. If you haven't had a clean install of Windows since then, then I would suggest doing a clean install of Windows 7 as you may have a lot of data/registry entries, etc. that could be causing the slowness issue.

Mr. Frank is our resident expert on Windows 7 and installing it so I will leave you in his hands for any info on the installations.

As to the not installing on the O drive, that may be due to the computer not seeing the drive at the time of the installation. I have that issue with our machines at work because the installation didn't have the drivers for the SSD.*

*NvME drive, not IDE/STATA

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20110909055742.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 223 GB (97 GB Free); M: 215 GB (171 GB Free); O: 59 GB (59 GB Free); P: 999 GB (355 GB Free); S: 431 GB (34 GB Free); Z: 215 GB (136 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z68A-D3H-B3, ver x.x
System: Award Software International, Inc., ver GBT - 42302e31
Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated
Your log shows Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit was installed in your computer on September 09, 2011 - more than 9 years ago.
A computer can accumulate a LOT of clutter and issues during 9 years, and that can lead to various issues.
Doing a clean re-install will give your computer a fresh start and breathe new life in it.
This Windows 7 install and update guide should be very helpful to you:
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/updated-steps-for-installing-and-updating-windows-7-sp1.1222250/

Your log shows a total of 6 partitions (C, M, O, P, S, Z).
How many INTERNAL (not external) storage drives are in your computer, and what are their advertised capacities?

---------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

cyberpac9

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it's been a minute since I installed windows. The only reason I don't lean towards that being the problem is that this wasn't a gradual thing. One week it booted perfectly. Next it took forever. I got a BSOD relating to avast and things have given me trouble since.

Just today I wanted to boot up for more testing. Lights turn on, fans spin, but no BIOS screen displayed. My next test, I guess, is to make sure everything is plugged in completely and try again. Unless you have other tips to try.

cyberpac9

Oh, and I have 2 drives - a 2TB and a 64GB drive. The 2TB drive is partitioned to several letters.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I have 2 drives - a 2TB and a 64GB drive. The 2TB drive is partitioned to several letters.
You did not say if both of those drives are installed INSIDE the case of your computer.
You also did not say if there are any additional drives connected to the OUTSIDE of your computer.
The numbers in your log do not match up with the actual capacities of 64 GB and 2 TB drives.

-------------------------------------------------

cyberpac9

You asked for internal drives only, hence my response.

C: 223 GB (97 GB Free);
M: 215 GB (171 GB Free);
P: 999 GB (355 GB Free);
S: 431 GB (34 GB Free);
Z: 215 GB (136 GB Free);
----------------
Add up to 2TB

O: 59 GB (59 GB Free); - - - 64GB ssd

Couriant

James
OK, so I would then assume you have an update, whether it was Windows or another software that happened around the same time? Do you have any restore points that you can fall back on?

FWIW, my personal preference would be to install Windows on what is currently called the O: drive if that is what I was intending to do in the first place, especially if that drive is an SSD. That way I would have a fresh build like Frank mentioned. But that is just me :)

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
C: 223 GB (97 GB Free);
M: 215 GB (171 GB Free);
P: 999 GB (355 GB Free);
S: 431 GB (34 GB Free);
Z: 215 GB (136 GB Free);
----------------
Add up to 2TB
A storage drive which has an advertised capacity of 2 TB actually has a capacity of 1862 GB
According to your log, those 5 partitions (C, M, P, S, Z) equate to 2083 GB
That's why I was trying to determine where the extra 221 GB came from.
O: 59 GB (59 GB Free); - - - 64GB ssd
A storage drive which has an advertised capacity of 64 GB actually has a capacity of 59 GB
I already guessed the O: partition is the storage drive which has an advertised capacity of 64 GB

Thanks for clarifying that the smaller storage drive is a SSD and that the larger storage drive is a HDD.

I agree 100% with James.
If you decide to re-install Windows 7 and get a fresh start, do it in the SSD.
Windows 7 will run faster and snappier.

----------------------------------------------

cyberpac9

No restore point, it is older (I must have turned off restore points for some reason, but don't recall doing so). My original intent when windows first installed was to be on the ssd. Not sure how I messed that up. I promise I'm familiar with setting up and building computers, despite what is being shown here. 😂

As mentioned above, when I boot up I don't get the bios screen to display - lights come on, fans spin, etc, just no bios. I only gave it a minute or so, it shouldn't take that long for bios to display. I plan on working on it later. Any ideas or tips? I plan on checking cables but any other troubleshooting tips would be appreciated.

Couriant

James
If you are not using the VGA port, try that if you can. If it's not showing any video... disconnect the internal drives and and all other USB devices so you have just keyboard and mouse and see if you can get anything.

If you can't get anything showing at that point, and the VGA port is onboard, then I would think the motherboard is having an issue.

cyberpac9

Ok, this machine really wants me to have a breakdown. What I did to the machine that wouldn't show anything the other day - I switched one monitor to vga on the MB. The other monitor remained dvi. I booted the machine and got bios and into windows no problem. Ugh! So, now that it's up, I'm going to double check that everything is backed up from the hdd. My next step is to install windows on the ssd.

Do you agree with that route? Or, are there other things I should consider doing first? I really appreciate you guys sticking with me as I figure this thing out.

Couriant

James
Yeah, backing up your needed data to a drive that is not those currently in (internal) first then do a fresh install of Windows. You may want to disconnect the drives you don't want to have Windows accidently installed on it so it will make sure that the SSD is used.

cyberpac9

Everything has been backed up and I've gathered necessary programs to be installed after windows is installed. (with 2 jobs and virtual school for my son makes finding time hard, but I'm trying.) Before I proceed, I've got 2 more questions.
1) I'm wanting to put windows on my ssd and not on the hdd it's currently on. If I install windows on the ssd (which will leave the current installation on the hdd) will I run into issues? Do I need to worry about the boot loader? That will be on the hdd, right?
2) I have the win10 iso but never upgraded the win7 installation. Instead of installing win7 on the ssd, can I just use the iso and install win10 on the ssd?

Thanks for your help and patience.

Couriant

James
You would most likely need to purchase a license for the Windows 10 instance.

As to installing the drive, you may run into issue with the boot loading and may boot to the Windows 7 instance instead.

cyberpac9

There is/was a free upgrade from win7, so I'm good on that front.

I'm trying to figure out how to install on the ssd then and avoid the boot loader issue. I can disconnect the hdd, boot to win10 and install. I'm just not sure if that'll work or not since I think it needs to be an upgrade to win7.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online